Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Back fence facelift

Elise15
Growing in Experience

Back fence facelift

Like most people over the Easter long weekend, we spent the majority of our time doing odd jobs around the house and FINALLY managed to complete a 'face-lift' of our horrible back fence. This one has been on the to-do list for a while!

The overall condition of the fence wasn't too bad, considering it looks as though the previous owners had done little to no work on looking after it. Our budget is tight, so I didn't want to spend a fortune on sprucing up the back fence - unfortunately this meant a lot of manual painting instead of splurging on a spray gun.

Our neighbours at the back have a large colourbond fence, so we didn't want to choose a colour that was too light and might clash with the cream colour of their fence. We decided to make the fence a bit of a feature, so we used the colour Dulux Domino, which is a dark grey (almost charcoal) colour. When choosing the paint, we opted for a cheaper option than the Dulux paint and selected Walpamur exterior paint. Because we chose a different paint base, the colour wasn't exactly dark grey and the cool undertones were a little more prominent - despite two coats. The colour is almost a dark blue, so if you're specifically wanting the dark grey colour I would recommend spending the extra for the Dulux paint. 

However, despite the fact the colour isn't exactly what we wanted, it still looks great! It really makes the plants pop, and probably even matches the light blue colour of our house better.

The next step in our little courtyard makeover is to source some small plants that grow well in the shade, but I'm definitely glad we managed to cross this item off our list - it makes the fence look almost new again!

AFTER:

Fence 2 After.jpg

Fence 1 After.jpg

BEFORE:

Fence 1.jpg

Before: back fenceBefore: back fence

Fence 3.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Back fence face-lift

Love a fence rejuvenation project! You've done really well @Elise15, it looks fantastic. Many thanks for sharing as I'm sure this will inspire plenty of Workshop members and visitors. 

Looking forward to seeing what you tackle next. I trust you'll get loads of inspiration and helpful information and advice from our wonderful community.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Nice one @Elise15. Quite surprising how much of a difference a fresh coat of paint can make.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
HotPink1316
Just Starting Out

Wow that's a transformation.  Well done.

Thanks for joining in the discussion @HotPink1316. I'm sure @Elise15 really appreciates the positive feedback. 

Are you planning your own fence makeover? Let us know if you need a hand with any project around the house and garden. We're here to help.

Welcome to the community,

Jason

Shaz160
Just Starting Out

Great job, makes a big difference.  May I ask what colour you used on the fence please as I want to do ours.  Thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Shaz160,

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us. 

In the description above, @Elise15 mentions that they chose the very popular Dulux Domino, although they didn't go with Dulux paint so got a bluer result than expected.

You might be interested in this recent discussion about fence colours if you are planning your own fence rejuvenation project

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Hope that helps,

Jason

navrelty
Just Starting Out

Re: Back fence facelift

Hi @Elise15 - looks great!! can I ask what was the colour of the Walpamur fence paint you used which was then tinted with Dulux?

I'm after the exact colour that your fence is (ie more blue tones) and just wondering what the base colour was

cheers

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Re: Back fence facelift

Great transformation !

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects