Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bamboo fence panel for extra privacy

Shannon
Making a Splash

Bamboo fence panel for extra privacy

image.jpeg

Re: Bamboo fence panel for extra privacy

Hi Mitchell @MitchellMc 

I plan on using Whites Oxy screen panels.

whites-outdoor-oxy-shield-rainforest-screen-panel

Thanks,

Patrick

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Patrick (@pats6182),

I believe that would be possible by pre-drilling the oxy-shield and screwing it directly to the top and bottom rails of the Colorbond fence. You could use Tek screws to fix the panels in place.

If you wanted to have a gap between the panels and the fence, perhaps to add lighting behind them, you could use the method I describe on page one by first installing timber battens.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Philby
Just Starting Out

Hi there,

Awesome looking project. Where are the panels from please?

Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Philby. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Let me mention @Shannon so he is alerted to your kind feedback and hopefully can answer your question.

You might like to check out our range of bamboo panels and poles which look very similar to what is used in this project.

Have you got an outdoor project you are planning on creating? We look forward to hearing more about your project and would encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share it with the community. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our creative members are contributing their own projects here all the time.

Mitchell

jeremytan
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for all the tips so far - very useful.

I was thinking of installing batons along the top edge of the colorbond fence and another horizontal baton just above the planters (ref image below). 2m high fence, but will have to cut to approximately 1.6m above the planters.

With reference to your image above, do I have to nail in every bamboo? Or would it be every 5 or 10 bamboo?

174395206_202481918346100_1517216621460396142_n.jpg

Thanks,

Jeremy

Hi Mitchell,

I would like to install your Eden 1.8m x 3m bamboo screens to my colourbond fence. How do you suggest I best attach it? The fence is not super strong and I have limited cash so am concerned about putting three Barton’s across the colourbond panels (in order to be able to secure it well with the flimsy wire it’s made with). 

Also can I ask you whether the blue buttons pictured here are the treated pine recommended or another product? Thanks so much. 

Dani 🙂

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jeremytan. It's wonderful that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

I don't feel it is necessary to screw through every piece of bamboo. The image was just for illustration purposes. I'd suggest fixing at the corners and then an additional fixing in the middle at the top and bottom. Six fixings should be adequate to hold the panels in position.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dandan11. It's fabulous to see you've joined us, and many thanks for your question.

For EDEN 1.8 x 3m Natural Bamboo Screen Fencing, the method I use is to run guidelines for the top and bottom of the screening to be fixed on. You should begin by placing a couple of Tek screws at either end of the space at the same height as the lighter gauge wire used to construct the screening. Run two lengths of Whites 1.57mm x 60m 1kg Galvanised Tie Wire at the same height across the space and incorporate Zenith 5mm Galvanised Eye And Eye Turnbuckles. The turnbuckles are used to tension the line until it is taut. Spread the screening out over the space and use cable ties to secure the screens wire to the guidelines. Generally, I place a cable tie every 30cms on the top and bottom lines. I've done this several times before, and it has always worked out successfully.

The blue batons can be constructed from any exterior timber that is structurally sound enough to span the gap. They could be 70 x 22mm 4.8m Decking ACQ Treated Pine or any exterior h3 treated framing timber.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Geez that looks great @Shannon  I love the pebbles and pagoda lanterns 💚

jeremytan
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell, 

thanks for the tip. Looking to crack on with the project this weekend, having just ordered the panels.

With the Countersunk Ribbed Head screws you recommended to attach the batons to the colorbond fence, would I need to predrill any holes on to the colorbond fence?

Similarly, for the timber panels, would you be able to recommend a product I could use to attach these on the timber batons?

thanks in advanced for your continued guidance!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects