Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bamboo fence panel for extra privacy

Shannon
Making a Splash

Bamboo fence panel for extra privacy

image.jpeg

Re: Bamboo fence panel for extra privacy

All these bamboo projects look great! 👍

Rough cost per metre?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If you're using the Lattice Makers 1800 x 900mm Black Bamboo Half Raft Screen Panel and screwing it directly into the top and bottom rail, then slightly over $65/metre, including fixings @Noyade.

Thinking of installing some at your place? I've got a bit of screening to do soon, and I'm unsure what I'll go with, but this could be an option.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LJ1809
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell,

I am using these hex head screws:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-12g-x-65mm-galvanised-hex-head-metal-screws-50-pack_p2420704 

I chose these because I’m not actually drilling into the sheet metal itself but the frame as we have the rear side of the fence so the bamboo covers the frame. 

is this a good choice of screw for drilling into the frame of the fence or do I need one of the other ones you have suggested? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @LJ1809

The Zenith 12G x 65mm Galvanised Hex Head Metal Screws - 50 Pack should be fine. However, I always encourage measuring the screw against the Bamboo cover so that you will know how much of the screw will actually penetrate the fence frame. If it looks safe and there is enough of the screw to hold the Bamboo cover in, then you can proceed. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your Bamboo cover on your fence.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

LJ1809
Cultivating a Following

6DE46177-7355-4569-B29A-15E26BF86049.jpeg

So this was what we started with, and this is where we are at. I’m building the deck using the 3.34 x 3.34 modular decking kits Bunnings sells. We are trying to create a peaceful corner in the garden to be able to sit and relax and watch our son play. 

B47DDAE3-30BD-47CB-89DC-F64BE2BC55A9.jpeg

as you can see, the third far right bamboo screen is not yet attached. I am not sure why the other two attached easily and this one is being so painful. I will get longer screws tomorrow and see if that’s the problem otherwise I may need to attach a wooden frame to the fence instead to drill into rather than the metal. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Nice change to your yard corner above. 👍

"then slightly over $65/metre"

Hi Mitchell, Thank you for that. Thinking about it. 🤔

LJ1809
Cultivating a Following

@Noyade 
The 2metre bamboo screens was priced at $79 each but we were originally after the 1.8metre which was on a high rack and they don’t like to bring the forklifts in on the weekends so the helpful staff member marked the 2 metre ones for us at the 1.8 metre price of $59 each. It worked out so much better because it lines up perfectly with the matrix screen panels we had screwed to the fence earlier without needing to use a tape measure or level or anything to make sure they were sitting right. Roughly the fence project all together with the bamboo and the matrix screens has cost us $900. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Cheers for that!  :smile:

Re: Bamboo panel ( extra privacy ) little Bali ,rose mohogany stain ,chain link feature

This is great, I have just bought some panels, to begin with. Fingers cross. Planning to get timber bracing for top & bottom followed by putting Bamboo screen straight to timber rails. 

Wondering am I allowed to drill holes on colourbond fence? 

What are the best screws to install timber rail to colourbond fence?

What are the best screws to install Bamboo screen to Timber rail? 

Please advise

Thank you

-Mohsin 

Re: Bamboo panel ( extra privacy ) little Bali ,rose mohogany stain ,chain link feature

Hello @mohsinbhatti55 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the Bamboo panel.

To answer your query, yes, you can drill holes on the post and top and bottom rail of the Colorbond fence. The length of your Buildex Climacoat Countersunk Ribbed Head Metal Tek Screws will depend on the thickness of your timber bracing. Remember not to get an overly long one, otherwise, it will bottom out and could possibly penetrate the other side. You can use the same screws to attach the Bamboo panel to the timber bracing. My advice is to pre-drill the bamboo fence panel to prevent splitting the bamboo.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects