Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best spray paint for polyethylene chairs?

Mafumov
Just Starting Out

Best spray paint for polyethylene chairs?

Hi wondering what the best spray paint and/or process would be to paint these blue polyethylene Acapulco chairs to a matte orange (light and bright)

5D6C1C7B-D663-4D48-AEEC-01286B6F799E_1_201_a.jpeg8F9171BA-92F0-4214-935D-3C761AEF5910_1_201_a.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: best spray paint for polyethylene acapulco chairs?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mafumov. It's fabulous that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

The challenge with applying a coating onto a flexible medium which stretches is that spray paint is non-flexible. Because of this incompatibility, you would expect the non-flexible coating to crack and peel away. You could try Squirts spray paint as it has the best adhesion characteristics for a range of plastics. However, I am not confident that it will be suitable for your proposed use. 

Let me mention @TedBear to see if he has any ideas.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Great thank you Mitchell, that's great to know. All advice greatly welcome, cheers

I like your thoughts on what to consider on this issue @MitchellMc . Thanks for the tag. I wish I had a good answer, but unfortunately paint properties is not something I can claim any expertise in. I would probably have sprayed them and wondered why the paint cracked.

Perhaps  @ThalmannDirk may have some ideas. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects