Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bluestone rounds to replace lawn

Kate23
Building a Reputation

Bluestone rounds to replace lawn

For my first post I thought I'd share our current garden project. Our backyard has lots of lovely trees but it gets a lot of shade and we have an energetic dog, so our lawn didn't last. Instead of laying more turf we're now replacing it with bluestone rounds. 

We got a start on the project last weekend but mixing the concrete by hand in a wheelbarrow was slow going. We've now borrowed a small cement mixer which should make things a lot quicker and easier. 

We also realised we should have put a string line down and left it. Some of the first rounds we have laid are a little too low. 

Anyway, I'm happy with how it's coming together and think all the work will be worth it. 

Rounds.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bluestone rounds to replace lawn

Many thanks for joining in the discussion @Gaye. I'm sure @Kate23 appreciates the positive feedback. Perhaps you are thinking about doing something similar at your place?

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house and garden or have something to share. I'm sure you'll find plenty of helpful information and ideas from the community - we have amazing members sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Kate23 Looks fantastic! Did you have any updated shots of the infill ground cover? I'm sure it'd look sensational once it filled in.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Alan_M
Just Starting Out

Hi Kate, we're looking at doing something similar to your bluestone project. Do you have any updated photos of the ground cover etc. Also how did the project fare with the impact of your dog (we have a similar situation!). Many thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Alan_M.

Let me mention @Kate23 to see if they are able to give us an update on their project.

Please feel free to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. 

Mitchell

Suetheflorist
Just Starting Out

Sounds like my garden too... have you left the pacers in the dirt, or are you putting gravel around them? 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Suetheflorist and thanks for joining this discussion.

Let me tag @Kate23 so she is alerted to your question.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of inspiration from our creative members and we look forward to hearing more about what you've got planned for around the house and garden.

Stevie

Hi @Suetheflorist,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

I can answer that @Kate23 did concrete the bluestone pavers down and has got ground cover growing between them.

Feel free to hit the Start a discussion button if you need a hand with your own garden project. We'd love to help.

Jason

Kate23
Building a Reputation

@Suetheflorist 

Dichondra is growing between the pavers.

Overdue update photo (with fire pit in the way...)

update.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That was well worth the wait, @Kate23! Your lawn replacement looks fabulous and exactly how I was hoping it would turn out. I trust you are pleased with your results. The Dichondra looks very happy in that environment, and I'm sure it is less maintenance than the previous lawn.

Many thanks for sharing your update with us.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects