Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building a bench seat

Gina
Building a Reputation

Building a bench seat

Hi guys,

I'd like to build a corner bench seat in my outdoor area. I like the idea of it being out of some kind of board that I can feather finish to give a concrete look. Do you know if there is a timber sheet available that can be used outdoors without warping or rotting?

Here is an image showing the kind of look I'm going for but I wouldn't use the timber slats.

Any help would be appreciate!

Thanks

Gina

c0a507cfa31796e4eca3c4c4c9870d55.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Building a bench seat

Looking forward to seeing your design @Gina. Thanks for the update.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Gina,

Hope you are staying safe and well.

Just wondering if you ever made any progress on this project? It's been extremely popular with the community so it would be fantastic to see what you created if you proceeded with it.

Many thanks,

Jason

toni13
Just Starting Out

@Gina 

Keen to see if this project was done too :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @toni13

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the conversation. It's an interesting project and the materials proposed to build it are all very sound. Getting that cement finished look is the key to this project. If you're using Fibre Cement as the outer covering for this project, I suggest using Dulux 4L Fine Texture Exterior Paint to get that cement-finished look without having to render it.

If you're planning on making one for yourself, we would be keen to see your ideas for your area. Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information should you need it. 

We look forward to seeing your project.

Eric

Joshief
Just Starting Out

@Gina 

Hi Gina, just checking to see how this project went. As I myself am doing the same type of seating and wanting to do timber frame for the same reasons. I am however struggling with the design of the construction, so I can workout materials. How did your design turn out and do you have photos of the progress?

Kind regards

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Joshief

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @Gina to make them aware of your question. Just to add to the materials used in the construction. You can use either 90x45 or 70x45 H3 framing timber to create the frame of the seat. The panels used for the seat are the 90 x 19mm Merbau SpecRite Pre-Oiled KD Select Decking. It's also been used as a top cover for the seat at the back.

Was there a specific question you wanted to ask about the bench construction? Please don't hesitate to ask, our members will be more than happy to provide advice and information.

Here are some amazing bench projects our Workshop members have shared:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects