Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building a treehouse

Dan_M
Building a Reputation

Building a treehouse

Hi All,

well after binge-watching just about every episode of 'Treehouse Masters', buying the book, and also scouring Youtube for related video; I've been bitten by the treehouse bug !....
I'm lucky to have a block that is not only blessed with 2 x giant Tuart trees; but also a few others in a bit of a group down the back; away from neighbours, so time to get started !! I chose the rear grove of trees as it's a bit more private; and sidn't want to mess with the big ones.
If anyone wants to get the bug - check out treehouse masters on foxtel; or look at nelsontreehouse.com online :smile:

construction will be a platfrorm about 2.5m off the ground, half deck, half enclosed 'cubby'

here's a quick sketch plan and the trees as an idea - it will no doubt evolve as the buid gets underway.....IMG_0750.JPGInkedIMG_9985_LI.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Building a treehouse

I'm sorry to hear you didn't have a great year, @Dan_M.

As you've realised, your one of a kind tree house is still sparking inspiration within the community, and we would absolutely love to see some updated images. I think we've all been waiting with bated breath to see the finished results; I know I have.

Many thanks for the update.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dan_M
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mitchell,

appreciate your thoughts.

few more pics of closing up the roof :wink:

"this much to go !""this much to go !"IMG_2198.JPGsuccess !!!success !!!

Oh yeah - a keen eye will also notice an addition to the side..... I got sick of trying to haul panels up a ladder and nearly stack.... so fast tracked the 'ships ladder/stairs :smile:

made a template and routed out channels for each step.....this was fun carrying down and lifting into place on my own....

IMG_2106.JPGIMG_2120.JPGIMG_2147.JPG

and some grab rails (brackets from you know where !)  :wink:

IMG_2265.JPGIMG_2269.JPG

then wanted to make the railing gaps more 'small kid proof'
made a 'pig fence' - routed a channel down the inside length of the pine, and slotted the mesh in place then screwed the frame

IMG_2260.JPGIMG_2262.JPG'small child' field testing complete :)'small child' field testing complete :smile:

this is about the latest pic - it's essentially functional and safe; I have a window to install into the 'cabin' and need to finish off the railing....
also think a firemans pole at the end of decking is required..and a camouflage paint job on outside to blend in... :smile:

IMG_2297.JPG

top railing is perfect width :wink:

IMG_2291.JPG

cheers everyone and will keep you updated on progress :wink:

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thank you so much for the update @Dan_M. So much to be proud of with this build. Even more incredible that you've managed to create all this on your own. You are definitely the Bunnings Workshop Treehouse Master! So grateful that you're sharing this story with us. Your creativity and ingenuity is inspiring.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
BIGHOOK
Just Starting Out

Hi Dan_M ,  

Great bit of craftsmanship you and the young ones have achieved there..  

I'm about to embark on my own build and found this post very helpful..  its been a year since any updates on this build..  has much changed since you last posted  

BIGHOOK

(LUKE)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Luke (@BIGHOOK). It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this amazing project.

Let me mention @Dan_M, so they are notified of your question. Hopefully, they can provide us with an update. The last one they provided appeared to be very close to completion, and I expect the result to look amazing.

We'd be keen to hear all about your plans and would encourage you to start a discussion to share them with us. I'm sure our knowledgeable members will have plenty of advice for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dan_M
Building a Reputation

@BIGHOOK 

Hi Luke, 

thanks for the comments & support :smile:
Not much else done to tree house since main build - still gets use by the kids & has withstood some crazy storms & wild winds with no problems :smile:
Next stage is to still attach a door & some windows; so kids can have 'sleep overs' in there..... :smile:

- they've also requested bean bags & 'somewhere to charge ipads....' - so might get a solar panel/battery and some usb points & a light in future  :smile:

....better get my butt into gear and get stuck into it !

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects