Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Built in BBQ requirements and considerations

loggie
Having an Impact

Built in BBQ requirements and considerations

Hello,

I am looking to convert this space into an outdoor BBQ/entertainment area with a built in BBQ and an outdoor drinks fridge. No sink for the moment, but might think of adding one later if necessary.

The components I picked - 

BBQ - https://www.bunnings.com.au/matador-palladium-4-burner-built-in-bbq_p0173254 

Fridge - https://www.bunnings.com.au/matador-stainless-steel-bar-fridge-single-door_p3171041

Are there any special considerations for this kind of project in this space? Particularly ventilation, moisture etc. The dimensions of the space are in the photo below.

111-01.png

Thanks in advance.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Built in BBQ requirements and considerations

What an exciting project @loggie. Great timing to tackle it so you'll be able to enjoy your new outdoor kitchen as soon as the weather starts to get warmer. 

Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL to assist with your questions.

I would also recommend you check out these outdoor kitchen projects for some ideas and inspiration:

If you search for "outdoor kitchen" here on Workshop you will find plenty more.

Hope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
loggie
Having an Impact

Hi @Jason ,

Many thanks for the helpful links. Will have a read of those in detail, and wait for Eric to comment with any specifics to think about for this particular space.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @loggie

Thank you for sharing your question about the requirements and considerations for a built-in BBQ.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jason. I recommend planning your layout on paper. When drawn out you often remember details that must go into your plans. It's great that you've taken into consideration moisture and ventilation. The other things to consider are power sources for your appliances and fuel placement. What type of material are you building your cabinets out of?  Were you thinking of building it from scratch or did you want pre-built cabinets? Did you have a specific layout in mind?

Would it be possible for you to post your preferred layout? While you are planning yours I will propose a possible layout as well. I will probably include the Bellini 90cm Stainless Steel Canopy Rangehood to ventilate your BBQ. When laid out you actually have adequate space for a sink if you want one. I will include it in my proposal, as soon as I finish the drawing I will post it. 

Here is a link to one of our featured projects: Creating a complete outdoor BBQ space by @sandy_d

Let me tag our experienced members @LePallet and @Yorky88 for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your plans.

Eric

loggie
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL 

Thank you for your comments and offering to draw up a design. The layout I had in mind was pretty straightforward - similar to the picture below. I am having an external powerpoint installed a little above ground level, below the existing light.

For the base, I was thinking of building a simple cabinet with marine ply for the fridge and timber frame using this 70x35 before cladding with cement sheet and attaching the stone. This would probably cover the moisture issue?

small-flagstone-built-in-grill-home-ideas.jpg

For ventilation, is there a guideline about minimum clearance before needing to install a rangehood? Because the alfresco roof doesnt have a ceiling as such and there is a bit of a curve to it, I'm not sure if it's possible to install a rangehood in that particular space. I have attached a picture below.

20210802_193238.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @loggie

Thank you for the quick response and update. I will include the details you've mentioned in my suggested plan. I only recommend putting a rangehood in to prevent grease build-up on the bottom of the corrugated roofing. I will show it in my drawing and leave the choice up to you. 

Eric

loggie
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL thanks that makes sense. I'll have the electrician add another point for the rangehood as you suggested.

loggie
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL just a follow up question re- rangehood. Would this rangehood and venting kit be suitable?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bellini-cfa120-charcoal-filter_p5103076 and https://www.bunnings.com.au/pacific-air-150mm-steel-roof-rangehood-venting-kit_p4790497

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @loggie

The Pacific Air 150mm Steel Roof Rangehood Venting Kit should work nicely with the Rangehood that you will be using. The Bellini CFA120 Charcoal Filter will not be needed as you will be venting the smoke away. These Charcoal Filters are normally used when you are inside an apartment and the Rangehood is in recirculation mode. Have you decided which Rangehood you will be getting? Please let me know so I can include it in my drawing.

Eric

loggie
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL thanks for the prompt response. Apologies I missed copying the rangehood link. I was thinking of going with the model you suggested - https://www.bunnings.com.au/bellini-90cm-stainless-steel-canopy-rangehood_p0186539

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects