Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I attach a new fence on my side to the existing fence?

Wazza2
Just Starting Out

Can I attach a new fence on my side to the existing fence?

Can I attach my new fence to the existing fence?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: New fence

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Wazza2. It's sensational that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about fence construction.

It sounds like you might need to go into a bit more detail in order for our knowledgeable members to assist you. Do you want to connect the corner of a new fence to an existing fence that runs perpendicular to it? Or perhaps you want to know if you can install a new fence over the existing one without removing it? Some pictures of the existing fence and a diagram of where the new fence is going would be beneficial. 

I look forward to hearing more details on your project and answering your questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Wazza2
Just Starting Out

New Fence.

The dividing fence between my house and my next door neighbor, is an old boring wooden fence. My neighbor is happy to leave the fence as is. Can I build,what I consider, a nicer fence and attach it to the existing fence.

e.g. Using panels such as Matrix make.

How many shows do you see on TV where the dividing fences are different on either side. Does that mean they are attached or not.

No garden show, or house and garden show or even the "The Block" ever approach this topic. No pictures, its not built yet.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: New Fence.

Hello @Wazza2

Thank you for sharing your question about putting up a new fence in front of the old one.

Putting up a panel in front of the existing fence is possible. However, it is always neighborly to discuss your plans with your neighbor so that there will be no misunderstanding when you start your build. It's also important to consider the current condition of the fence if it still is structurally sound. Any additional weight may cause it to tilt or warp.

Using Matrix Panels is a fantastic way of adding a feature to an otherwise dull fence. Fence height is also a factor that you should consider as some neighborhoods have fence height limits. It would be safe to check the rules in your area before you proceed to build your new fence. It sounds like a fantastic project, any updates you can provide while building it would be much appreciated.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular screening projects

Check out these amazing fence and screening projects shared by our workshop community members.

Let me tag our experienced members @LePallet and @woodalwaysworks for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects