Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can and bottle redemption bag

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Can and bottle redemption bag

We have a local recycling centre that allows bulk loads to be processed without having to put each item in individually and without having to separate glass and aluminium. So to collect the cans and bottles I "recycled" an old trampoline frame, bed frame, corrugated iron, shopping trolley wheels and old steel rod to create a frame and a hinged weatherproof lid that supports and protects an old wool bag.

The "spikes" are used to drain the cans and bottles before putting them into the bag.

So far so good, and a full bag represents around $70 in return...

20201219_101843.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Can and Bottle Redemption Bag.

The corrugated iron I used is interesting as they're possibly sheets from early post WW2. The intriguing thing is the thickness - approximately 2.5 mm thick, making each sheet around 40 kg in weight. I went online years ago to try to find the history on these sheets on various Australian forums with no luck, other than they may have been made for concrete form-work.

Looks like a normal corrugated iron sheetLooks like a normal corrugated iron sheetBut up close...But up close...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can and Bottle Redemption Bag.

What a great project @Noyade! That will certainly assist in the recycling process.

You're right about that corrugated, it's impressively thick, and I've seen nothing like it.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects