Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you replace fly screen without removing the frame?

glendavester
Just Starting Out

Can you replace fly screen without removing the frame?

Fly screens frame cannot be removed can I replace the screens with the frame still in the window

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: fly screen

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @glendavester. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about replacing flyscreens.

If you can access the rubber spline that retains the flyscreen, then yes, you could replace the screens whilst the frames are in the window. However, their current vertical position will exacerbate what can already be a tricky job even when the frames are on a flat surface.

You might like to read through this helpful step-by-step guide: How to replace a flyscreen. If you believe you'd easily be able to follow these steps, then you'd quite possibly be able to complete the job in the frame.

Have you had a good crack at removing the frames? If you were to post some images illustrating how the frames are stuck in the window, our helpful members could have some solutions for their removal.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

IMG20210829101013.jpg

IMG20210829101010.jpg

IMG20210829101004.jpg

Renting so can't remove frame anyone that can show me how to replace screen with removing frame 

@glendavester can you take a photo of the top part of the screen, it looks like it is just sitting in the bottom channel.

The bottom corners are a work of art that may need some fixing before removing the spline.

Hi @glendavester,

@Brad might be thinking the same, but I'd suggest the removal sequence would be to slide the frame upwards, and then, once the bottom rail has cleared the bottom channel, pull it out towards you. Holding onto the tab in the centre of the frame should make it easier.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects