Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you sand H3 treated Pine?

cococat
Growing in Experience

Can you sand H3 treated Pine?

Hello

I was wondering whether H3 treated pine from Bunnings can be sanded prior to painting? Is the timber kiln dried or air dried? Do you need to wait before painting?

Thank you for your help!

cococat 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you sand H3 treated Pine?

Hello @cococat 

I don't recommend sanding the H3 treated pine due to the chemicals that have been placed into it. 

The timber at the store is kiln dried. Similar to decking panels, you'll need to season the pine timber until its surface is totally dry. Depending on the prevailing weather and type of timber, it could conservatively take anywhere from 8 to 12 weeks for the timber to season.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
cococat
Growing in Experience

Thank you Eric. I am learning so much from the community as I undertake various DIY projects.👍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @cococat,

I just wanted to point out that if you want a dressed H3-treated timber that doesn't need to be sanded as it's already smooth, then LOSP Pine sounds like it might be right for the job. It does not need to be seasoned and it comes primed as well, ready for your topcoats.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects