Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Caravan renovation

VickiD
Growing in Experience

Caravan renovation

around the air con, middle of vanaround the air con, middle of vanhatch in bedroom areahatch in bedroom areahatch at front of vanhatch at front of van

Hello

I am starting a caravan renovation. The van is a 1990 Evernew. It was mostly gutted when I bought it. I would like to replace the ceiling, but I would rather not pull all the walls out. Is it possible to do this? Do you have recommendations for removing the ceiling? Do you have any recommendations of what type of panelling to replace it with?

Thank you

Vicki

"@vickis.van" on insta

VickiD
Growing in Experience

caravan floor

Hello again

I was working on the kitchen benches in the van and i found some wood rot in the corner. I had to pull out a lot more of the kitchen than i had planned. Anyway, there is some rot in the floor that will need to cut out. Pics included. What type of fastener is pictured and how do i get it out? What is the sealant used between the floor boards?

Thanks again

Vicki

20220528_142332.jpg

 wood rot in floor, most of the rotted wall battens havebeen removed

20220528_143001.jpg

 floor fastener

20220528_142605.jpg

 rot was under window too

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: caravan floor

Hi @VickiD,

I must say that I haven't seen a fastener similar to that before. Perhaps it's something that is used exclusively in caravans. I'd imagine it employs some type of crimping action to connect the floor sheeting to the skin/frame underneath. You could try drilling out the centre to see if that releases them.

Could we get a close-up picture of the sealant between boards? Does it look like it could be a standard construction adhesive? Or even just a wood putty filler?

Let me mention some of our knowledgeable caravan renovation experts @FloTheCaravan@twocutekelpies and @Peggers to see if they've come across these fixings before or know of what the sealant could be.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
VickiD
Growing in Experience

Here is a close up of the join

20220528_152701.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Is the sealant soft or hard @VickiD? If it's softish, then it's likely just a silicone sealant suitable for timber.

Mitchell

I'm afraid I can't help with the adhesive/sealant but the fasteners are countersunk rivets, I found most of mine had sheered and popped out with a flat screwdriver, others drilled out quite easily. I replaced mine with the same size using 72 AS 6-10 countersunk rivets I found on ebay. 6 is the code (drill bit 4.8mm or 3/16") and 10 refers to the grip range, in this case 12.70 - 16.00mm. If your floor plus chassis is more or less than this range, you need a higher or lower number.  A standard rivet gun with the right size tip will work with these.

WP_20161121_09_50_26_Pro.jpg
Whatever sealant you use, make sure it says it's flexible. 

Hope this helps 

Shelley.

Instagram @twocutekelpies
VickiD
Growing in Experience

ply for caravn

Hello again 

I have all the rot out of the walls in the kitchen. Which plywood do i use for walls?

Thank you for all of your advice

Vicki

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: ply for caravn

Hi @VickiD

Ultimately, Marine ply would be your best bet. The sheets are made from hardwood, and the glues used will not break down due to moisture exposure. However, typically caravan walls would be made from a lower grade, like Premium Plywood if it is an exposed surface or Ecoply if it's just for construction purposes. These lesser grades are not moisture resistant, and it's why you're now needing to remove the rot. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

@VickiD 

Check out the decorative ply range from Forest 1, they stock a range of caravan ply that is poly coated so no need to paint. http://forest1int.com/products/#products-decorative You can order samples from them but can only order via a stockist such as Bunnings Special Orders desk. This is what I used in my caravans, looks great and easy to work with. 

Instagram @twocutekelpies
VickiD
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I will use the marine ply for the floor. Will it be too heavy for the walls though? I see the thinnest is 3.6mm. It won't be visible where I am putting it because it will be behind cupboards and splashbacks.

Vicki

Thanks @twocutekelpies that definitely looks good for the back wall in the bedroom and also one of the side walls.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects