Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Converting a shed to an art studio

sharmila
Growing in Experience

Converting a shed to an art studio

On a limited budget, What's the best garden shed to buy, in order to convert into an art studio, How to get some light in and how to insulate the studio

sharmila
Growing in Experience

Re: Backyard shed to studio transformation

Question 2.  I have a delipidated wood shed which I would like to convert into an art studio,  How do I go about it on a limited budget?. thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Converting a shed to an art studio

Hi @sharmila,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and thanks for joining in the discussion.

My apologies but I'm a little confused by your two posts. Are you trying to decide whether to use your old wood shed or remove it and install a new one? 

Are you able to share some photos of the shed and the area so members can see what you are working with and suggest next steps?

And what kind of a budget do you have to work with? 

Let me tag @DIYgals for their thoughts as they are currently working on a fantastic studio and shed project.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sharmila
Growing in Experience

Apologies. I shall start my questions again, My old wood shed has a rotting floor. Whats the cheapest way to refloor and convert it for storage space order to store things neatly.

QUESTION 2 I would like to purchase a 3 metre shed to convert into an art studio. I would require cheap shelving to store art materials, crafts etc. I would prefer some light source.  Appreciate any advice and ideas.  Thanks from Sharmila

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sharmila

I suggest removing your old rotting timber flooring and replacing it with cement. As for your second shed, I suggest putting in a cement base as well. Think of it as a long-term investment. You will never have to replace the flooring ever again. When compared to using timber, it will be more expensive to build a timber frame and use decking panels or large plywood sheets. Using large pavers will work but every time it rains water will enter between the joints of the pavers making your shed very humid and susceptible to moss and mildew.

Would it be possible for you to tell me the size of your old shed? I can then calculate the amount of cement bags you'll need to replace the floor. I suggest going to your local store and speaking to the Special Orders Desk. As for the shelves, I recommend using Handy Storage 137 x 71 x 30.5cm Galvanised 4 Shelf Unit. I suggest using Arlec 40W LED Weatherproof Batten to provide light in your shed.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your shed built and ready for use.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sharmila
Growing in Experience

Thank you very much for the reply to my question. Very much appreciated

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @sharmila just a couple of points to chip in: for daylight, I recommend that your shed include at least one sheet of pearl plastic sheeting, with a profile (probably corrugated) to match the steel roofing material. Don't use clear plastic unless you want a rectangle of light that moves  across the floor during the day. Put on the north side if possible, the pearl will give you useable white light even on an overcast day, most of the day.

An important point if you are ordering without consulting the supplier: the floor will be made of concrete, not cement (which is just a component of concrete). If you order cement then you'll also need to calculate and order the corresponding quantities of sand and stones. I am fairly sure that's what Eric meant to write....

sharmila
Growing in Experience

Thank you for that information. Kind of you to reply

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects