Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Creative idea references for sloped front yard

diyjoe
Getting Established

Creative idea references for sloped front yard

Hi, 

Need some early thoughts please. I have a two side access property, with slopes on both ends. It currently has nothing but some rocks, shrubs and small trees going about. Our current access is through car port which am planning to close off. So, I know I would need tradesmen to come and create a path from main street through to main door of the property. Main door is facing the side street and on wider side of the plot - giving me avenue to create some thing nice. Am thinking of creating a bit of levelled, grassed pocket for kids to run around a bit. But I dont want to go all the way down to the boundary, for (a) cost, and (b) no one in the neighborhood has that sort of arrangement. Thoughts, ideas, references? Attaching snaps for your viewing please. Thank you. 

1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png7.png

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Creative idea references for sloped front yard

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @diyjoe. It’s fantastic that you’ve joined us, and thanks for your question. I’m sure our community will have plenty of ideas and inspiration for this project.

Let me mention @Adam_W and @MitchellMc who may be able to offer advice as you plan out this project. @Yorky88 has completed some impressive paving projects that could offer inspiration, and @Tara86 may be able to offer ideas and suggestions as she recently gave her sloped front yard a makeover.

Have you had a chance to check out our Top 10 most popular garden makeovers? Another great place to start.

Look forward to seeing your project come to life, and please let me know if you’d like any help navigating and making the most of the site.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
diyjoe
Getting Established

Thanks @StevieB for the references, I will check out the links. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @diyjoe. We're excited to have you join us.

Many thanks for the images. You might also like to sketch up a top-down plan of the area, including the house and street, so our members understand where items are located.

You should find these guides by @Adam_W useful, as they'll provide some elements of interest to your front yard:

Here's a great garden planner from Gardena, which you'll find useful in setting out your ideas. A plan is the first place to start. I'd encourage you to start by writing down a list of what you like and what you don't like about the current arrangement. You can then create a list of things you would love to have in the area. I understand you'll need the path and would like a grassed area for the kids, but what else would you like to include? Personally, I like the idea of creating a retaining wall running parallel to the street but set back from it. This area can be levelled and used by your kids and will be somewhat protected from the street.

I look forward to following along with your project and hearing about your plans coming together.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @diyjoe sounds like a fun project :smile:

A lot of the vegetation in there is looking pretty tired & hard to tell what much of it is. Looks like they've all spent years battling with each other then being cropped back then rinse & repeat...
It's often easiest, and most sensible, just to take it back to bare bones by stripping out the plants completely, unless there's some stuff in there really worth saving, so you can really see what you are working with.
This also give you a better chance to do any physical landscaping and things like rejuvenating the soil. Very hard to do that around existing plants as you can do their roots a lot of damage.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects