Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. gate - Thanks to Bunnings tutorials

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

D.I.Y. gate - Thanks to Bunnings tutorials

My Partner asked me to build a gate for the side of our house. I haven’t done anything like this before so was a bit stumped over where to start. 

Then during one of my usual Bunning browsing visits I found their DIY - How to build a gate tutorial.

i found it very informative, making the whole process easier to understand and even quicker to make. I love their tutorials and glad to have finally used one for a current project. 

Luckily we had heaps of old pallet wood left over and other bits so only had to purchase the stain, hinges and gate latch. 

9108B285-B530-4CEE-818C-E2E65A39DE88.jpeg

954F4F5D-0A06-4F93-B0B8-0D091323D0AB.jpeg

1A2F8C82-08ED-416A-AB28-127049498918.jpeg

A3F7AC51-E50A-47EB-8F4B-5C2D835122BA.jpeg

79065C58-0420-42B6-8A68-040EF816FEBA.jpeg

F51B6A00-C3B9-47AA-B3CD-8594F3261B05.jpeg

D5F8DA9E-2483-44BD-BA8E-81E5B38A359C.jpeg

F0A6B07F-B4C3-46D1-9E99-A15A64407FA4.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: D.I.Y. gate - Thanks to Bunnings tutorials

It looks terrific. Well done @Tara86. I love the way you have a crack at anything. 

It would be great if you could let us know what you learned from the process, and/or what you found most challenging.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thats a cracker of a job, once you get into a job its so satisfying, our Tutorials are easy to follow :wink:
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Great work @Tara86. It looks fantastic. Very inspiring!

robmac74
Finding My Feet

Really great job @Tara86. The only thing i would mention is that the angle brace is wrong and over time you will get excessive sagging. i needs to run from the top corner to the bottom hinge so the weight of the gate is supported and braced at the bottom.

other than that it looks really good.

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

You beauty looks great l. What oil or stain did you end up unsung ?

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

Thanks everyone! It’s worked a treat and been great keeping the kids away from all the utilities down the side. Issues I faced was the retaining wall isn’t straight so had to fiddle around where to put the posts so it was obvious. The concrete path is also slopes for drainage so hadn’t to have the gate off the ground so it could open but again had to work out what height so it all looked straight. Then we have a drain pipe in the way so stopped us from having a gate the whole width of the side. Overall was happy the alterations worked and doing the job!

@robmac74 - thank you very much! I was actually going to mention in my reply to Jason that the hinges were the trickiest part. I was worried about sagging or even the gate splitting. I was advised to use these ones and installed them as best as I could given the basic instructions. So if you can help I’d really appreciate it. Can you explain or even a pic of the correct install? 

@LePallet Thanks mate. I was on your site earlier tonight seriously great work! I used Intergrain natural stain - Redwood first. My partner wanted it to be similar to our bricks but after 2 coats felt it was to orange. So I did 1 coat of Merbau. I still need to paint the side but didn’t get a chance before we went away. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to have you join in the discussion @robmac74. It sounds like you have a lot of experience and knowledge to share. We look forward to reading about your own projects and plans soon. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop even more useful to you.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r3365
Finding My Feet

It's a great looking gate, I really liked it before it was stained. I was thinking the same as @robmac74 about the brace being on the wrong side, except as the panels are on an angle, the panels would act as a brace. There shouldn't be any sagging over time, it would be very different if the panels were horizontal or vertical. I only know this as I've got the experience of doing it wrong.
https://www.fix.com/assets/content/15506/wooden-gate-cross-brace.png
Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@r3365 @Thanks so much for the advice. Yes I was a bit shattered with the staining. My partner wanted it to match the house but the stain turned out more orange when used on a large item. The scrap bit I used it was a darker red. So sanded it (only helped a lil as stain was in all the wood grain) and restained with merbau.

That link was fantastic I wish I had found that when researching hinges. I did enquire when I was purchasing the hinges, gave them the specs of the gate and also explained the environment in the area and was told these would be more than enough. So when I got the previous comment I was worried but unfortunately never got a reply. The posts on the right are screwed into the retaining wall and very sturdy. So far the gate hasn’t budged and still working perfectly. Even after the kids found the novelty in it and used it with a lot of their outdoor games ha ha.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects