Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. paling fence

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

D.I.Y. paling fence

Good afternoon Workshop Community Friends. Happy New Year to you all !!!

House 1994

Part of our backyard Paling fence was rotting and warped due to termite damage years ago that we had treated but we didn’t have the time to replace it.Finally we made time to do it and our Neighbour kindly helped us as we helped them with their Paling fence. It was only one section that was the worst, eventually down the road we will replace the rest of the fence which is a little warped but fine . The section of fence is behind our Shed and lately we have had a few unwelcome visitors jumping the fence and running through our backyard. So we made the fence taller put them off. We did it in a day and started early in the morning before the heat set in. 
We had all of the materials needed and layed out ready to go the day before. We also had the tools layed out in the shed ready to go, along with a good extension chord to run from the shed to the back fence for the drop saw to cut all the timber and a trestle table set up as well. Seriously, have a couple of mini trestle tables on hand when you are doing a DIY project, it makes it so much easier to keep everything organised if that makes sense. 
It was a messy project but well worth doing it yourself. I hope this project will help you if you have the same fence as us. 😊

Materials

IMG_3820.jpeg

IMG_3821.jpeg

IMG_3871.jpeg

IMG_3819.jpeg

Treated Pine Paling Fence CCA 150 x 17mm 2.4mts 55 pieces 

Structural Pine Treated 90 x 45mm 2.4mts  9 pieces 

Galvanised 10mm x 60mm bolts nuts and washers 

Blue metal 20kg 11 bags 

Concrete liner and old engine oil 

Tools

Steps

Step 1

IMG_3825.jpeg

IMG_3831.jpeg

IMG_3838.jpeg

IMG_3843.jpeg

 We pulled down the old paling fence , being extremely careful with the nails sticking out. We wore gloves BUT super careful with the old timber. We took it to our local Recycling Waste Centre . 

Step 2

IMG_3845.jpeg

IMG_3846.jpeg

Not sure if you can see at the base but we had to remove heaps of sand the the local Council had put there when they put a new footpath in. The sand cover the base of the fence and because it was wet all the time the termites moved in and caused havoc, so we had to get that sorted out. We put in new timber attached to the posts for the boards. The cross beams were bolted in.  

Step 3

IMG_3850.jpeg

IMG_3851.jpeg

IMG_3852.jpeg

IMG_3857.jpeg

 The planks were spaced out just enough so they could be overlapping each other. I’m sorry but I didn’t get a spacing size. The guys just used an off cut plank that was trimmed down to use as a spacer. 

Step 4

IMG_3859.jpeg

IMG_3860.jpeg

 Once the first layer of planks were attached, the second layer of planks was added. We were very lucky our neighbour had a nail gun, just made it so much easier to work with. 

Step 5

IMG_3861.jpeg

IMG_3862.jpeg

 We just replaced the old Colorbond capping and teck screwed it on. 
Now look closely at the gap at the bottom of the fence, we sorted that out too so it isn’t a safety hazard. 

Step 6

IMG_3874.jpeg

IMG_3873.jpeg

 I painted the base of the fence with old engine oil to protect it. 

Step 7

IMG_3878.jpeg

IMG_3881.jpeg

IMG_3883.jpeg

IMG_3882.jpeg

 We placed concrete film into the gap and back filled it with blue metal and cut off the excess film sticking out. 

Step 8

IMG_3885.jpeg

IMG_3889.jpeg

 Replaced the capping. 

Step 9

IMG_3865.jpeg

IMG_3863.jpeg

 Just to show you how much better it looks now against the existing fence. We will get to that soon. We are so grateful to our neighbour for helping us and we are very grateful. We always help each other out. So between the three of us it took approximately 5 hours to complete. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: D.I.Y. paling fence

Hi @mich1972 

My first thought about the oil in the bucket "could it be motor oil?" It immediately reminded me of my grandfather who always used what was on hand. The fence looks fantastic and I'm glad you got to recycle the fence cap. 

Thank you for sharing such an awesome project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: D.I.Y. paling fence

Hi @EricL , yes it is used motor oil ( hubby is a diesel mechanic ) I only applied it to the base of the fence to protect it. I had no idea it is an old remedy. The capping is faded and bent out of shape in some spots but it was still ok to reuse it 😃 thank you 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects