Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deck Pine Timber

bradwallace
Just Starting Out

Deck Pine Timber

805BDE2C-8E46-4A76-A3AB-17A2BE17CB0E.png

I’m looking at doing a diy and this is going to be first diy build. Plan is to build a deck out the back which already has some concrete and some dirt aswell. I’m just unsure about what to do for the structural. What do I use and how much sorry. I have attached a photo if that helps. Will be 29m2 all up 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Deck Pine Timber

Hi @bradwallace

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our amazing members. 

I would recommend you first create a detailed plan and share it with the community so you can get feedback. The Bunnings D.I.Y. Advice series on How to build a deck should be very helpful as a starting point. I will also add one of the videos from the series below about making a plan. 

Have a good look and then come back to us with your sketch and any specific questions you might have. I will be more than happy to tag members with lots of decking experience who should be able to assist. 

Many thanks, we are looking forward to seeing how you can transform your backyard. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bradwallace
Just Starting Out

DIY Decking

I’m looking at doing a diy and this is going to be first diy build. Plan is to build a deck out the back which already has some concrete and some dirt aswell. I’m just a bit unsure what to do for the faming on the dirt as the deck is going to go over the concrete. Planning on using angle brackets on the concrete, just don’t know what to do for the rest. The deck will go over the concrete by 1000mm. Photos

E34F4355-5EE0-4112-BB35-200C6B660631.jpeg

F4F6C5AB-CD69-449B-8A35-5D26B80A6093.jpeg

70912732-3563-4E91-B555-CDA580D7C930.png

F6359B14-6D34-42C9-BD7F-BAD240E4CF7A.png

1365C0DA-5366-4E7F-AD16-D717A07005E3.png

attached 

Re: DIY Decking

Hi @bradwallace,

Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist. There was a very similar topic to your question recently asked about a Low-level deck. The member had a concreted area and the deck was to extend out over soil. In that topic, @ProjectPete mentions that "You should have minimum 200mm but ideally 250mm clearance for H3 timber.". You will need to remove some of the soil next to the concrete to achieve that clearance.

The deck will need H4 treated pine posts concreted into the soil to support the overhanging area. Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 140 x 45mm will be suitable for the bearers with appropriately spaced posts. 140 x 45mm would also be suitable for joists. You could look at dropping that to 120 x 45mm and those would need to be a special order at your local store.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects