Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deck and gazebo project

womby36
Building a Reputation

Deck and gazebo project

cabana.pngI'm a newbie attempting a deck. Above are my basic plans and rough costings.I

'm a bit overwhelmed at the choice of timber for the joists. I plan to use Tuffblocks for the foundations (the 'dots' in my diagram).

The deck is 3400 x 4400 in order to hold a 3000 x 4000 Mimosa Lava Portsea gazebo fixed on the top. So I needed to consider 2 things - hiding the Tuffblocks (they are 300mm diameter - I've drawn the 4 corner ones in as circles) AND making sure the Gazebo poles sit over the corner foundations.

So the deck extends a total of 200mm out each side (with noggins to stablise) and I've sourced all materials - but what timber should I use? It sits in the tuffblocks, has to be at least 35mm depth. Ideally I'd rather make them 3400mm long (so not buy 3000mm lengths and have to join them). The deck will be made above an existing brick paving area with hte joists sitting 90mm above ground.

Help!

womby36_0-1638248117290.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I choose the right timber for deck joists?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @womby36. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to choose the right timber for your deck.

Let's do some quick measurements. If you use 140 x 45mm Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing - 4.8m and add the thickness of the deck panel 19mm for Merbau decking plus your 90mm space, you'll have an overall measurement of 249mm. At that height, you will have to make a timber step in order for people to get onto the deck. The 140 x 45 comes in 3.6 meters giving you just a little bit more than you need. The offcuts can be used for the picture framing side of the decking frame.

However, if you use Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 90 x 45mm plus the timber decking panel 19mm and the 90mm space, you will have an overall measurement of 199mm. The 90 x 45 comes in different lengths so it's important to check with your local store that they have the lengths you need. If not you can speak to your local store's Trade Desk and ask them if they can order you the lengths necessary for your deck. Since the 90 x 45 is not as thick as the 140 x 45 you will have to reconsider the number of  Tuffblocks you will use.

I wouldn't recommend going any smaller as far as timber size is concerned. Getting thinner-sized timber will produce any number of decking defects. Sponginess, bounciness, and timber twisting which is prone to happen with smaller sized timber. I suggest engaging the services of a deck builder or engineer to sign off on your plan. 

Let me tag our experienced members @tom_builds, @Brad, and @MGusto for their recommendations.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom_builds
Making a Splash

Hi @womby36 and thanks for the tag @EricL .

Sorry I'm a bit late to reply, you've done a great job on your plans there @womby36 !

With the number of tuff blocks in your plan I think you will be fine with 90x45 as your joist spans is within the appropriats range . You should be able to get your hands on 3.6m lengths - if not at a large local bunnings then through the trade/special orders teams.

Keep us updated as you progress with your project!

Best of luck,

Tom

womby36
Building a Reputation

deck and gazebo/cabana project

A027BCAC-EC07-493A-AAC6-1840A3E38A7D.jpeg

25433849-57A6-4BD0-B1F8-118C86D0D003.jpeg

Before and after/during photos of our low deck with gazebo - our little pool cabana.

The low Deck was built over existing pavers using Tuffblocks, structural pine and composite decking. 
The gazebo is a Mimosa Portsea 3x4m. We’re quite proud considering we’d never built anything before. Thanks for the help from my initial post on this page! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: deck and gazebo/cabana project

What a sensational result, @womby36! You must be exceptionally pleased and rightly proud of the finished work. As a first project, you've smashed it out of the park!

I'm always interested to hear what issues you might have faced and overcome, as anyone wanting to complete a similar project would really appreciate knowing about any hiccups they could experience ahead of time.

I trust you're going to get plenty of questions from our inspired members. Many thanks for sharing the finished cabana and deck, as it really helps paint the entire journey.

Well done.

Mitchell

womby36
Building a Reputation

@tom_builds 

Hi Tom, thanks so much for your help- see my recent post with the finished deck. Pretty proud! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Deck and gazebo project

Congratulations @womby36, you have done a superb job. That looks like a space you will be able to enjoy with friends and family for many years to come.

It should also inspire many other Bunnings Workshop community members, so many thanks for coming back and sharing the end results with us.

Looking forward to seeing what you tackle next. Please give us a shout if we can help in any way. 

Jason

That's a super effort @womby36, completely transformed that space. Good to hear that you are proud of it, because you should be!

Spys01
Just Starting Out

Hi @womby36  this looks fantastic great job, we are working on a deck also. Can you tell me where you purchased the outdoor furniture?

womby36
Building a Reputation

@Spys01 

Hello and thanks! The grey modular lounge to the left was from Segals outdoor furniture. The white wicker set was from Bunnings but about 5 years ago… haven’t seen it in some time unfortunately! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects