Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deck joist, bearers, noggins and spacings

Buildadeck
Just Starting Out

Deck joist, bearers, noggins and spacings

Hi all;

Building an Ekodeck deck about 0.5m off the ground 2400 x 5400. Fixing to brick.

Plan on using 2400 x 140 x 45 bunnings treated pine joists at 450 centres

One line of noggins in the centre

Fixing joists to 190 x 45 bearers with joist hangers

supporting bearers at 1800 centres.

Good plan or not?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Deck joist, bearers, noggins and spacings

Hi @Buildadeck,

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're excited to see your deck project come to life and trust that you'll get plenty of help and inspiration for this project and many others to come from our clever and creative members. 

Have you seen our helpful resource How to build a low-level deck by experienced member @Adam_W? It would be a great place to start. Adam might also like to share his thoughts on the plan you have shared above. 

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be back on the site on Friday to assist you. Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Deck joist, bearers, noggins and spacings

Hello @Buildadeck

It's great that you've decided to build your deck with Ekodeck. The materials you mentioned for the frame are adequate for your build. I'm now a convert of @Adam_W's philosophy of over-engineering for safety. I recommend tightening the gap of 1800mm and add more support.

Would it be possible for you to post a drawing of your plan to give our members a better idea of your framing? This will allow us to give you a more informed recommendation. 

Let me tag our experienced members @JoeAzza and @TedBear for their suggestions.

We look forward to seeing your plans.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects