Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deck renewal project

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Deck renewal project

Hi all,

I thought I'd share my current deck renewal project.

The deck is around 10 years old and was looking pretty shabby. The timber is merbau but I wasn't sure what the original coating put on the deck was - something with a coating that peeled off in parts (as opposed to an oil).

Subsequent oiling never got a brilliant result despite how much I scrubbed and blasted with the pressure cleaner - it was clear that a full sand back to the bare timber was needed.

AfterShot.jpg

BeforeDeck1.jpg 

In preparation for hiring a floor sander I purchased an orbital sander and sanded back all the edges of the deck with 40 grit paper. It's hard work on the hands and knees but I was happy with the initial results, giving me confidence that the deck was going to come up well after the job was complete. Here's a rough example:

FirstStep1.jpg

I hired a floor sander on Saturday. They are heavy beasts but surprisingly easy to use. It's a job anyone can do - even those with limited skills like me! Again I used 40 grit paper for the first sand, then went over again with an 80 grit. Here's a few sanding progress shots:

FirstStep2.jpg    FirstStep4.jpg

FirstStep5.jpg

Final step in the sanding process was to get the orbital sander out again with the 80 grit paper and tidy up any spots that were a little rough or needed a little more work. 

After cleaning up I started oiling the deck. I got one coat on Saturday and one coat on Sunday morning, but with rain forecast for Sunday afternoon/night I couldn't get the third coat done. Hoping to get to it in the next couple of days and will share the results. It looks like it will be a big improvement and well worth doing. 

Jason 

Safety update: January 2021

The Bunnings team would like to advise the drum sanders available for hire in Bunnings stores are not suitable for use on decks. For any exterior decking projects, the Orbital sander available for hire is the correct choice as it has a sturdier head which is ideal for decking.

Before sanding your deck, all nails should be checked to make sure they are below the surface of the boards. Any protruding nails should be punched below the deck surface.

The state of your deck's timber is also important to assess. If they are weathered, the edges can start to split. Any boards that are damaged with sharp edges or splinters should be replaced before commencing sanding.

If you need a hand with your deck renewal project, please don't hesitate to ask for assistance. We're here to help. 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Deck renewal project

Thanks for joining in the discussion @kiwicooldaddy. I was just referring to the perimetre of the deck itself as the floor sander can't get right to the end due to our cedar battens (railing). No need to use the orbital on each board - that would take a very long time! 

Welcome to the community. Please let us know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

Yes started sanding our deck back as was10 years since done properly done with a belt sander as not a huge area but as U said Jason water  blasting and cleaning dies nothing like a good sanding all work it 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @belinda71. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for contributing to the conversation.

I trust our members would be interested in seeing some images of your rejuvenated deck and hearing more about how you restored it. What type of timber are your decking boards and did you oil and stain them after the sanding process?

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance with them or have something to share. You'll find loads of inspiration for your projects within the community as our clever and creative members contribute their ideas here every day.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects