Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I need to stain or oil the deck?

legopoint
Cultivating a Following

Do I need to stain or oil the deck?

Hi

Deck is not in good condition and I want to fix it.

I saw some staining and oiling videos.
It looks like I need to stain  it but just wanted to make sure I am on right path.

Do I need to sand it or just clean and then stain it?

or can I clean it and oil it?

deck-20231223_095246.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Do I need to staining or oiling the deck?

Hi @legopoint,

You might like to share a wider shot so we can see more of your deck, but from your first photo it appears that you have uneven wear currently. It means that if you apply a product on top of what you have (whether an oil or a stain) it is unlikely to look great as you won't get a uniform appearance. 

I'm not sure how big your deck is, but if you are prepared for a bit of work, you would get a much better result by sanding first. Have a look at my deck renewal using a floor sander as an example. 

By using search you will find other examples on Workshop of members who have renewed their decks by sanding - you can typically get them back to a near-new appearance.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @legopoint 

It is vital that the surface of your timber deck be sanded properly. Failure to do so will result in poor oil absorption and an uneven finish on the surface. This will result in you having to sand off all that hard work and begin again.

I suggest having a look at these amazing deck revamps shared by our Workshop members:

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you revive a deck?

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Happy Holidays!

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

legopoint
Cultivating a Following

Thank you @Jason 

Area is close to 11 sqm
Some nails are protruding  about 1-2 mm so I need to sort them first before attempting sanding.

legopoint
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @redracer01  for helpful links.

You'll be able to knock those nails in further with a nail punch and hammer @legopoint 

Keep us updated, and reach out again if you have further questions.

Mitchell

legopoint
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I bought these https://www.bunnings.com.au/trojan-3-piece-nail-punch-set_p0423026 .

I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaBkdZiDZxg to make sure I am using the right technique.

Some nails moved but some didn't budge. Nail punch head also got deformed.
In the video it seems very easy but on some nails I had to hit 5-10 times to push them even 1-2mm.

Dayne
Getting Established

Re: Do I need to stain or oil the deck?

Hi!

Once you have suitably prepared the deck (repair, sand, clean) you can then look into sealing.

Sealing will help rejuvanate and enhance the beauty of the timber for years to come.

A reccomended trade quality system on the market is:

- 1 coat of Sikkens Cetol HLSe (in the colour of your choice, to provide colour enrichment)

- 2 coats of Sikkens Cetol Deck (protective trafficable topcoats)

Click here to view the Sikkens Project Guide 

Hi @legopoint,

What size and weight hammer are you using? If they are hardwood joists, that could explain the issues with driving the nails down; it can be an incredibly hard timber. Make sure you have a decent-sized hammer, like at least a 16oz hammer, and perhaps pick up a less budget-friendly punch like the  Kincrome 4mm Nail Punch. Make sure you have the nail punch centred over the head of the nail as if it slips off during punching, it can deform its edges.

Mitchell

legopoint
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc 

Happy New Year

I have https://www.bunnings.com.au/irwin-20oz-fibreglass-hammer-1991009_p0065673 

I tried nail punch technique on some spare piece similar to https://www.bunnings.com.au/90-x-45mm-outdoor-framing-mgp10-h3-treated-pine-2-4m_p8032172  and it worked.

I am worried that if I use too much force I could damage the wood or hurt myself. 
So I am going to follow https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Outdoor/How-to-oil-a-new-deck/m-p/154405#M20642  this time.

I hope to add new life for at least another year and by then I'll probably have more confidence as I am thinking of getting better at woodworking/DIY this year.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects