Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fitting a new letterbox

Gunner2056
Getting Established

Fitting a new letterbox

I have a letterbox that is already in place measure 220w x 290h x 180d

My new letterbox is 195mmW x 300mmH external

inside 175mm W x 260mm H x 255D

fence is colourbond, so I need to take care of any adjustments necessary.

MyNew LetterboxNew LetterboxOld Letterbox 1Old Letterbox 1Old Letterbox 2Old Letterbox 2Old Letterbox 3Old Letterbox 3Old Letterbox 4Old Letterbox 4Old  Letterbox 5Old Letterbox 5Old Letterbox 6Old Letterbox 6New Letterbox dimensionsNew Letterbox dimensions 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fitting a new letterbox

Hello @Gunner2056

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your letterbox.

I suspect that the cutout in your fence is actually smaller than it appears. I recommend removing the current mailbox to determine how big the cutout really is. Once you've established that it is smaller, then you can simply cut the necessary hole with Tin Snips to fit your new mailbox.

However, on the off chance that the cutout is bigger than your new mailbox, I suggest using the front of your old mailbox and cutting the centre out of it and using what's left as a filler for the side of the new mailbox. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your mailbox installed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Gunner2056
Getting Established

Hi I am also worried that the flange is too small to screw in to keep it secure.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Gunner2056

According to the letterbox installation manual, the mounting for steel fences should include an aluminium piece that should hold it in place. If you're worried that the screws provided are not up to the task. I suggest going to the store to buy something more substantial to hold the letterbox in place. If you've removed the timber letterbox and have done a test fit and are still worried, I suggest putting a Carinya 200 x 250 x 25 x 6mm Black Heavy Duty Manhattan Angle Bracket - single under the letterbox and fixing it in with bolt and nut to support it on the fence.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects