Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Flashing a polycarbonate roof against a brick wall

Russ42
Building a Reputation

Flashing a polycarbonate roof against a brick wall

I have just completed roofing the pergola with polycarbonate and now need to flash the high side against a brick wall. Do I need to cut a channel into a mortar line and sit the polycarbonate flashing into this channel and water proof with silicon?

1. is there an alternative to channeling the wall

2. is silicon the best sealant for this job? Which silicon/product for this external application?

3. what should I do if the poly flashing doesn't line up with a mortar line?

Re: Flashing a polycarbonate roof against a brick wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hk_Engineer. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on the required council permissions.

Council regulations vary widely around Australia, and there is no one answer to your question. It's always best to check with your local council before starting work on any significant structures around your home. Start by sketching out what size you would like to make the pergola, including the height and dimensions. You can then approach the council by calling them to find out whether this could require planning permission. If it does, you can then employ the services of a qualified individual to prepare plans for submission.

I look forward to hearing more about your project and assisting you with the construction process. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I checked with council and they saod nothing more then 20m2 and it should permeable roof.

So mot sire how to get a weaather resistant pergola. 

Hello @hk_Engineer 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop! Did you have a plan in mind? A certain size and shape? If you go to the Bunnings website and search for pergola you will see that the store offers many ready to build kits at different sizes. These pergola kits are weather proof. If any of these pergola kits are sufficient in size and shape just order it at your nearest store at the special orders desk. However if you wish to build one from scratch this is an option as well. If you have any more questions please post it here on workshop.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks , I saw the polycarbonate roof material. Ideally wanting to build one .Even the bunnings pergolas are great ,but again if it's over 20m2 and not permeable roof then need to apply for council approval ,how does that work with the Bunnings packaged ones.

Hello @hk_Engineer 

If you find a pergola suitable to your needs go to the special orders desk and ask for the technical specifications of the pergola you wish to purchase. This is the plan you submit to the council for approval. Once you've fulfilled all of the councils regulations and get approval. That is the only time you actually purchase the pergola. But as long as the approval is not in your hands we simply have to wait for it. 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

@hk_Engineer,

Whether it is a packaged product or something you are building yourself, it will either fall under an exempt development or not. The council has the final word on if something needs approval, and they will be able to provide you with numerous resources and guidelines for submitting a plan. There might be conditions such as the structure being non-permanent or not attached to the house, which comes into play with the exemption. You could speak with a qualified engineer who will be well versed in this process and able to advise if there are any alternatives to explore.

Since the council has stated that you'll need a permeable roof for exempt development that really limits your options, if you want a solid roof, you'll need to submit a plan for approval.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell, 

For the bunnings packaged pergolas does it comes wih plan as thats a requirement with the council

@hk_Engineer,

I'd be happy to assist you with locating the relevant information on the pergola you choose. For instance, if you selected the Mimosa 3 x 3m Lava Portsea Louvre Semi Permanent Gazebo, here are the structural designs and plans for it.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc am a total noobie but I think I follow your diagrams here. How would I fix the aluminium to the brick wall, and do I need to also fix/glue it to the infill strips? Alternatively, could I use the suntuf clear wall flashing? (But again how would I attach this to the brick wall?) Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mp316. It's brilliant that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about installing flashing.

I'd suggest drilling into the brick wall every 600mm along where the aluminium is to be placed with a STAHL Masonry Kit 6mm Drill With 35mm Red Wall Plugs and installing the provided wall plugs into those holes. You can then pre-drill your aluminium flashing with corresponding holes. A thick bead of Sikaflex 11fc should be placed on the wall where the two surfaces will meet. The aluminium can then be put into position and screwed in place. The Sika product ensures water doesn't run down the wall and get behind the aluminium trim.

Since the Suntuf clear wall flashing is flexible, it's slightly harder to get a good seal. You could follow a similar approach but then use Consolidated Alloys 75mm x 10m Weatherproof Byute Flash Flashing Tape across the top lip to stop any water from getting behind it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects