Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Freestanding gabion walls

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Freestanding gabion walls

I started this Project Mid 2017.

The fence line between the neighbous and my place didnt have a fence except for the back half of the yards.

I had an excess of rocks/concrete that I had in piles around the block and also some "decorative boulders that had to go.
22-07-2017.jpg

22-07-2017b.jpg

The white stakes show the fence line extended from the colourbond fence in the middle of the yard.

22-07-2017c.jpg

I worked out the maximum size cage I could make from the mesh I had. And then pre-cut all the pieces up.

22-07-2017d.jpg

The spiral wrap is 3.4mm fencing wire (I think that was the size I got it from Bunnings) and I wrapped it tightly around a broom handle. Once I had filled the broom handle then I would stretch it out to this size by hand (Future versions I wound enough for maybe a few meters and then cut it into 60cm lengths for ease of use. ) One long length may be a stronger option but was a pain to thread.

22-07-2017e.jpg

The cage being spiraled together. I also had stay wires at a third of the height front to back so the cage would not buldge as I filled it. No matter how you stack the stone the cage will want to buldge so these are necessary.

22-07-2017f.jpg

Stretching the spiral out so it would wind nicely between each square wasnt hard to do. It is a surprisingly easy thing to build.

16-09-2017.jpg

This is to show the first cage. The ground was uncompacted, I shaved the top two inches of grass and dirt off to make level. Where I live the ground has a high content of clay and is like concrete.

12-08-2017b.jpg

I used three cages all up, each the same size and staggered them down the hill with the intention of fixing rails or mesh or both between the cages to form a secure fence.

12-08-2017c.jpg

Just showing how little I impacted the ground. I really didnt want to build on losse fill.

12-08-2017.jpg

The middle cage with the top taken off the soil and a little fill used to make it level. It really didnt make a difference as the cage settles evenly.

16-09-2017b.jpg

Rocks and concrete I had found on the block. 
16-09-2017c.jpg

Layering the nicer stones. I really wanted it to shone so saved the sandstone pieces to face the front of the cage.
16-09-2017d.jpg

When I started the project in 2017 I did not own a sledge hammer. Now I do....
02-10-2017.jpg

Layering the stones. Also The lid is attached to one side. This made it easy to keep the cage from buldging out.

02-10-2017b.jpg

The sandstone colouring really came up nice. I use dthe waste not so nice rocks in the middle of the wall (Think like a casle wall)

02-10-2017c.jpg

All done. Fairly happy with them This was finished oct 2017. During drought

18-07-2022.jpg

The strength of a gabion wall... This is the impact point mid 2022 of an old school window air con unit being dropped on it from the first floor of next doors house. I have a few options to repai it. I intend to use a pull hammer and straighten it out but am a little concerned that the mesh welds will snap. Otherwise it will need to be pulled apart to replace the three damaged panels. 

18-07-2022b.jpg

One way to test the strength of a fence... thats where the air con unit fell from. Since mid 2017 the cages really havnt moved out of true by more then 1cm if that. The impact of the air con didnt shift the cage. Very impressed with how good they hold up.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Freestanding Gabion Walls

Hi @Dave-1

Thank you for sharing your extended gabion wall project. It's impressive that the fence you built in 2017 is still solid as a rock despite being hit by your aircon unit. I hope you'll be able to straighten it out without damaging the welding points.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Freestanding Gabion Walls

@EricL 

Yeah thats my main concern, I have on my list of tools I want a "Pull hammer" as I think that may work best. I will hit of the guys at work and see what types they have. Its not a high priority as it from my yard it cant be seen but still bugs me :smile: Its on the List!

Dave

Alex-9
Finding My Feet

Re: Freestanding gabion walls

Thanks for posting this.

I had heard that the height of a gabion should not exceed twice its depth (unless there are steel pillars within the wall), but judging by your pictures this is apparently not the case. If someone were to push the top of the wall, it wouldn't tip over?

I'd appreciate it if you could answer this question, if I wanted a 2 metre high gabion, what depth should I have?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Alex-9 

My eyes fell out at the two meter high gabion :smile: Wooo thats some wall you want. I would definently sugggest a concrete foundation and an engineer to go over that. The ones Ive shown are 1200mm high amd 400mm ish from memory and would take a fair amount of effort to push them over. Thats 1 to 3 which I do admit is pushing the ratio. Here is another project I have done Gabion wall to stop water ingress I knew that the wall would only be carrying 2/3rds of its height with soil so thats why the wall itself isnt wider.

Have you got a picture of the area you are talking about?

If you wanted a 2m high Gabion wall can you step it?
Or are you after a solid wall?
How wide were you thinking of making the wall?
And the last question is, would it be retaining anything?

If you went down the track of the Gabion Basket  you can buy from Bunnings you could stack them like bricks.

I have yet to post a corner of a wall I did with those gabion baskets. I would step them back into the hill if I was going for a 2m height. 

Looking forward to the project.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Alex-9. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and great to see that @Dave-1 has already responded to your question.

Please let us know if you need help with your project, as we'd all be keen to assist. We'd also be interested to hear all about your other projects and plans around the house and garden, so reach out anytime you have something to share with the community or have a question.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. Gabions are quite interesting as a DIY masonry wall that can be quite thick.

I'm actually thinking of a free standing wall, not a retaining wall.. The main reason I want one is to block traffic noise as I live on an arterial road (on a service road). Having a step to it could be a good idea, I have enough space. 

I think a couple of layers roadbase is considered good enough for a base, concrete unnecessary. Do you have experience with tamping? I have checked out all your projects very interesting, much appreciated that you posted them. If I do my own tamping I'd need to make sure it's level on my own, a little bit nerve wrecking but I guess I could manage with a spirit level and so on.

BTW, do you have any experience using railway ballast as fill for gabion cages? Seems affordable, in good supply and with good acoustic properties, but could be prone to bulging the cages (apparently you can tie a wire from the front to the back of the cage help prevent bulging?). Based on your projects you seemed to have a lot of good fill handy from walls you previously dismantled.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Alex-9 

For a freestanding wall of 2m height I am cautious. Depending on how wide you make the base is how high I would go. That would be a LOT of wieght for freestanding. I have hand tamped soil before and believe me it still will still settle. If you look along the long front gabion wall I have built I explain the middle part that was only hand compacted. If you have 2m in height that settles unevenly then it will want to topple slowly. 

I just reread your message and had was thinking about it. Just looked at a tape measure and for 2m in height I would not go under 800-900mm width of the base. 800mm would be pushing your luck. I would also not do it in one huge cage deal but maybe two or better three cages height and that adds a complexity to getting them to line up.

Railway ballast sounds good but you will have to have either small metal cage holes or something lining inside the cage to stop the rocks from coming through. (I intend to do that very thing with an excess of white pebbles I have)

I do put in stay wires within cages to stop that buldge, I am not sure if you are thinking one cage or multiple cages for your solution. I made large cages as that is what my mesh could make, I didnt have a height consideration to factor in. That would be a lot of downward pressure to make a cage bulge at the base. 

Tamping for Gabion wall If you look closely at the middle left cage it is sitting on tamped soil/clay. Its still looking good but I know its a weak point. The cage does slightly dip at that point even tho the weight is spread over a large surface area.

How about a combination of two noise screens? I have inc a picture of what I intend to do for a windbreak once my coffee tree grows. I dont feel comfortable going higher with the small cages I bought from bunnings (I may push my luck and have one moe but prob would go for thie slatted timber solution on top of the existing wall.

28 14-06-2022b.jpg

Do you have a pic of the area?

The infill material came from breaking up the side of the house concrete pathway and various rocks I have dug up. I cannot believe how many rocks/concrete I have!

Hope the stuff I have explained helps. Dont mind answering more questions if you have them :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects