Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I build a deck railing made out of aluminium posts, cable between the posts, and wooden top?

K10
Just Starting Out

How do I build a deck railing made out of aluminium posts, cable between the posts, and wooden top?

How do I build a deck railing made out of powder coated aluminium posts, cable between the posts, and a wide wooden top? Can you please show me what products Bunnings has available for this project? And how do I work out how many posts I need? 

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 10.05.25 am.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I build a deck railing made out of aluminium posts, cable between the posts, and woode...

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @K10. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

There is no proprietary system I am aware of that uses aluminium posts and a timber rail. You could potentially use Peak Black Balustrade Stair Posts and 50 x 50mm Plain Double Lug Fence Brackets to fix them to 90mm x 19mm x 5.7m Pre-Oiled Merbau FJ Decking. However, you'd need to check to see if that would meet all relevant safety codes if this balustrade is at height. Generally, timber posts would be used with timber rail, which alleviates any connectivity issues.

Wire balustrade is used for the cable. If this balustrade is indeed at height, then the distance between the posts will be stipulated in relevant building codes. You could contact your local council for advice on regulations. You might like to employ the services of a qualified builder who will be able to work to the building codes.

The aluminium balustrade and timber capping in your image appear to be a system that works together. Our aluminium balustrade is designed to be used with aluminium fencing and not timber, so it's not just as simple as adding the timber to the aluminium posts.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects