Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I build a handrail into a steep outdoor path?

Pete1967
Just Starting Out

How do I build a handrail into a steep outdoor path?

Hi folks, the path that leads to my front door is quite steep and when the house was built 35 years ago there was a steel handrail along the path, but it fell into disrepair at some point and was removed by previous owners. I now want to rebuild a new one so that my elderly relatives can hold onto something as they traverse the steps down to my front door. As you can see there are no walls I can screw a balustrade to so this railing needs to stand on its own while mounted into the earth.

PXL_20220406_070545742.jpg

What would everyone suggest for this?
Many thanks!!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I build a handrail into a steep outdoor path

Hello @Pete1967

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a handrail for your steep outdoor path.

What a wonderful opportunity to create something special for your outdoor path. I suggest something that would last a long time like 100 x 100mm Fence Post Hardwood CCA in combination with 42 x 18mm 2.7m FJ Pre Oiled Merbau Screening. These would make an excellent post and handrail set. 

But if you want it bulletproof, I recommend using Protector Aluminium 50 x 50 x 1800mm Black Inground Fence Post With Cap both as post and handrail. Because it is aluminium it will not rust and save you from having to stain or paint it. I'm afraid a bit of digging will need to be done to bury the posts, but I think this is a better alternative to mounting it to your timber stairs.  

Just to be on the safe side, please make sure to check the rules and regulations of your local council when building self-supporting handrails outside your home.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noyade, @TedBear and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I build a handrail into a steep outdoor path

Hi Pete.

Lovely path! I bet it leads to a beautiful house.

How long is the path?

Hard to tell from the photo - but is it completely straight?

Any concrete footing left over from the previous metalwork?

I see occupational therapists always reconfigure bathrooms with tubular handrails - for a better grip. So I was thinking of incorporating those 100mm X 100mm posts Eric mentioned with a 'pipe' style handrail. I'm guessing there would be many ways of attaching the pipe to the wood.

Just a thought.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects