Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you cook your steak?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How do you cook your steak?

Forget the great debate about the proper name for a sausage and bread. Everyone knows that steak is where it's at.

But how do you cook your steak? 

Share your secret to the perfect steak in the discussion below.

Grilling_Steaks.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: How do you cook your steak?

Regarding resting, I went to a BBQ cooking demo last week and the chef stressed the importance of resting any meat after cooking but said don't wrap in foil as its not that different to keeping it in an oven - it will continue to cook and isn't really resting. Everyone obviously then said "but won't it go cold?" to which he replied yes, that's why restaurants serve on hot plates...

John1
Having an Impact

A hot barbie with sausages still sizzling not quite finished cooking. I place my steak with them but only turn when the feeling tells me too and when the sausages are done then I remove both which usually gives the steak about 4 maybe five minutes on the grill. I love the taste of sausages and do not like to put sauce on a beautifuly barbie cooked piece of meat unless it tastes off. The fat from the sausages is enough to cook the steak in. By the time it is taken inside and salad placed on the plates is enough time for the steak to settle. Love that medium rare steak. After I have demolished the stake then I will go back for sausages.  

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

@stupidfish

I have one it does a great thick steak cooked just how you like it.

There is some debate on pre or post sear, given almost any steak I buy is vac packed already I go for a post sear on the bbq.

@John1

What's this salad stuff taking up room that could have meat on it!

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Another way to cook steaks is to cook them in a pressure cooker (or slow cooker) first, then sear on a very hot plate/griddle to caramelise for flavour & appearance. I heard that's how a steak house prepare theirs. ; )

A bit of an old thread I know, but I did this pretty amazing reverse sear on some scotch fillet last week using Hardcore Carnivore Black rub - perfectly medium.

For those unfamiliar with the reverse sear method, it's in the oven or smoker until medium, then into a screaming hot skillet for a minute a side. Usually needs a pretty thick steak (a little thicker than these ones)

For th14642439_548041512052361_1974148626492439261_n.jpg

Happiness is a full smoker - moonshinebbq.com.au
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Thanks for bumping this thread @MoonshineBen, earlier there was talk of whether to flip steaks while cooking, or cook one side, then the other.

I now remember seeing a YouTube vid done by Australia's highly acclaimed Tetsuya Wakuda, he advocated keeping it simple by seasoning with pepper & salt, on a low simmering pan, & turning the steaks regularly to avoid searing to deliver the nuances of the beautiful meat.

The vid that I'm linking here, isn't the one, but close enough:

Wagyu done right

I just went to a demo for the new Everdure charcoal barbecues and the chef was saying that Heston recommends turning your steak constantly - every 10-15 seconds. Apparently he did lots of scientific experiments testing various methods and constant turning was the best. And make sure when you rest it that you don't put it on a plate but rather a cake rack. The scotch fillet that I sampled was fantastic!

Jason

AHoy
Having an Impact

I always thought the idea was not to touch/move the steak and only turn once. Will give the constant turning a go and see if I can taste any difference. 

AHoy
Having an Impact

Returning to this old thread. Have switched to contant turning. It does seem to lock in the juices a little better and it's also easier to get the steak just right. Sticking with this technique now. Had a ripper steak sandwich on the weekend! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Now that the weather is getting warmer and barbecues are firing up across the country, I thought I would revive this discussion. There's a new poll on the Workshop home page that asks how many times do you turn your steak while cooking. Please add your vote and continue the discussion below.

Thanks,

Jason 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects