Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to Make A Ned Kelly Outdoor Esky From recycled materials

AnitaH25
Having an Impact

How to Make A Ned Kelly Outdoor Esky From recycled materials

Ned Kelly Outdoor EskyNed Kelly Outdoor EskyNed Kelly Outdoor EskyNed Kelly Outdoor Esky

I had seen something similar to this on Pinterest and loved it straight away.  They had made theirs using an esky.  I wanted to try and make mine a bit different.  I chose to go for a small stand up freezer rather than a fridge because a fridge will have bottle storage in the door which would take up space inside the esky.  The freezer was flush so it worked perfectly.

Ned Kelly Wooden Esky (2).jpg

So I advertised asking for a free broken freezer to build my cooler. I chose a freezer because the door would be flat and not have the bottle holders taking up all the space.
I started by removing the compressor and all the elements from inside the freezer. The baskets and shelves were removed and I used the clips off the shelves to try and tidy up the inside to give it a better look. Silicon sealer was used to seal any holes in the freezer.

Ned Kelly Outdoor Esky (1).JPG

I built a platform the outward dimensions of the freezer and used a kreg jig to join them all together. I attached the legs to the platform. The legs are attached to the outside of the sides and not the front. Fit freezer to make sure it fits before you move on to the next step. The legs do not go all the way to the top. My top apron was 3cm so my legs are 3cm from the top.

Build your frameBuild your frame
Add supports between the legs in the front and the back.

Side SupportsSide Supports
The side supports were added on the inside of the legs to keep the box in proportion as per picture. I used all scrap wood for this step because it is all hidden and it was a good way to use up scrap I had lying around.

Ned Kelly Outdoor Esky (10).jpg

I cut all my wood slats to fit between the two supports and used a nail gun to attach them. In the front, I started on the sides making sure they overlap on the ends enough to match up with the sides so that the front looks tidy.

Ned Kelly Outdoor Esky (11).jpg

I cut the top to size and used a pocket hole jig to join them together and this was then screwed into the top. Remove all the door hinges from the lid and line it up with the base so the top can be made.

Make your ApronMake your Apron
Frame the top and add the slats using the nail gun. I added 4 screws to the front of the wood lid to secure it to the freezer lid. I added 2 large hinges to secure the lid to the base.

Add your lidAdd your lid
I used a hole saw to cut a hole in the base and added my plumbing to drain off the water once the ice has melted, and used silicon sealer to seal the hole to prevent any leaks.

Add your plumbingAdd your plumbing
Make sure you test the plumbing for any leaks before you fit it all. I added decorative edges to give the box a better look and routered all the edges.  I varnished the box and added wheels so that the cooler can be moved around and a bottle opener. Then it was ready for the next family gathering.

Side view with tapSide view with tap
To see more detailed step by step for this project http://uniquecreationsbyanita.com/how-to-make-a-patio-cooler/

I hope you enjoyed my project.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to Make A Ned Kelly Outdoor Esky From recycled materials

Thanks for sharing your project with us @AnitaH25. It looks like you have a lot of creativity and experience to share. We look forward to seeing more of your handiwork soon. I also hope you get lots of inspiration and advice from other Workshop community members.

Welcome to the community.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for your kind words.  I have only been doing this for 4 years and I am self taught.  Wish I was an experts.  It is groups like this that help others.  Thank you for the invite.

Hello AnitaH25,

I've only just joined the "Workshop" and was looking around when your project appeared.  A very nicely worded and photographed presentation. I am at the other end of the age spectrum, however, am always keen to see new ideas. Your project appears to be well thought out and methodically undertaken. Like Jason has said, I hope you can receive and absorb as much information and inspiration from the "Workshop" as it appears you are likely to give. Thank you for the inspiration you have given me.

Cheers, Pete

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion @Pete4000. Great to have you as one of our latest Workshop community members. I look forward to reading about your projects and plans. Please feel free to post whenever you need assistance or have something to share. And do let me know if you ever have any suggestions about how we can make Workshop even more useful for you.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rolando
Having an Impact

Truly impressive, learnt something today for sure, keep posting, ciao

Thank you Pete, very nice of you to say.  I love trying to come up with different projects you dont see everyday.  And making them out of recycled materials to keep my costs very low if one of my main aims in my DIY projects.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects