Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a raised garden bed in sloped backyard?

asharkey
Building a Reputation

How to add a raised garden bed in sloped backyard?

Hello everyone and happy holidays :smile:

Looking to do some outdoor landscaping this summer break and would really appreciate some 2nd opinions on our plan for adding a small raised garden bed/retaining wall to our back yard.

Our yard is small to begin with and there is a decent slope that backs up to our back fence.  the area is not really useable because of it and we want to box out the slope with a retaining wall to put ornamental plants.

Dimensions of the wall be 4.8m wide, 600mm high, and roughly 500-600mm deep from the back fence.

IMG_7205.jpgIMG_7205_anotated.jpg

Eventually we’ll remove all the grass directly in front of the garden bed and replace with rock and pavers for a seated patio area.

We've purchased Bunnings h4 CCA hardwood sleepers and retain-it posts to construct the wall. We'll seal the facade of the sleepers with Cabot's Natural Decking Oil.  And seal off with Bondall Bitumen the back of the sleepers, any bottom wood touching soil, and the cut ends.

I have a few questions about planning in regards to drainage.   Since our neighbours on both sides are higher than us naturally water is going to want to travel to our property, and we don't want that collecting behind the wall.   I’m planning to dig a trench around the perimeter directly behind the lowest sleeper.  Fill with gravel, lay ag pipe, and fill will gravel.  This backfill would be around 200mm deep and enveloped in geo fabric.  As we already have a storm water drain in front of the retaining wall, I’d like to then branch off that drain with PVC in the ground and then with a T joint connect to the ag pipe behind the wall.

IMG_7207.jpgIMG_7207_annotated.jpg

IMG_7206.jpg

Does this sound like a good plan?  Anything I’m missing?  And is this overkill for such a small garden bed?

Another question is because the back fence is tiered as it’s on a slope, there will be a portion that would be roughly 200mm below the garden bed.  If we want to fill the entire planter bed for a flat even look, this part of the colour bond fence would be underground.  Is this okay?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Small Retaining Wall/ Garden Bed Planning

Just also wanted to extend an overdue congratulations @asharkey. You've done a terrific job.

Looking forward to seeing what projects you tackle next.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
asharkey
Building a Reputation

Re: Small Retaining Wall/ Garden Bed Planning

Thanks @EricL @Akanksha @Jason for the compliments! I’m sure there will be more projects down the track. Great online community here to spitball ideas!

next thing will most likely be trying to figure out how to add some shade, ideally with a sun sail shade.  However it may be tricky with such a small footprint, an no really great mounting options, as the brick wall is too low, the soffit is aluminium frame, and the colorbond fence is not load bearing 🤔 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects