Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add steps to a deck?

Gman
Just Starting Out

How to add steps to a deck?

I want to build a deck and add 5 steps ?

The stairs need to be 1.4 metres to the bottom of the yard because the house is on a slope.

Do I use the stringer method to build deck stairs?

Do I use rectangular subframes to build deck stairs?

How do I stop the soil from eroding below the stairs?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Adding 5 steps to a deck?

Hello @Gman

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a deck with steps.

Your timing is just perfect. The Bunnings team has recently released a seven-part series on how to build a deck, beginning with how to plan out your deck.   

The series includes:

These guides should give you a very good understanding of what you need to do to plan your deck. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of where you plan to install the deck? Is 1.4m the height of the deck? The Wilmaplex Stringer brochure contains a table that lays out how long a stringer you'll need for certain deck heights. You don't need to build a rectangular subframe for the Wilmaplex Stringers. 

If you're worried about soil erosion when you build your slab base. I suggest looking at the current water flow of your slope. I recommend putting in either a french drain or using Everhard Easydrain to divert any water flowing towards the base of the stairs. You can also add hard-wearing grass such as buffalo turf to naturally hold the soil in place. Otherwise, you will have to add additional steps if the slope becomes too steep.

Here is a link to a discussion that's similar to your proposed project - Steps to decking - Help Please by @VinceB

Here is a link to the Wilmaplex Brochure: Wilmaplex Stringer Brochure.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects