Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add timber decking to outdoor area?

rodfran
Just Starting Out

How to add timber decking to outdoor area?

Hi ,, 

I want to make a timber decking floor for my outdoor area , this is 3mt x 6mt

And I have to make it it 2 sections , both  3x3 to gain access to a drain if need be ,, all advise is welcome,  from start to finish  

20210919_153428.jpg

20210919_153447.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber Decking

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rodfran. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a deck.

Have a read through How to build a low-level deck and How to build a decking boardwalk. Also, check out our Top 10 most popular deck projects for some inspiration before you begin your plan. Once you've gone through those, I trust you'll have plenty of questions that our helpful members can assist you with.

A sketched plan is going to be the first step in your build. Take the measurements off your house and transfer them to paper. You can then map out your deck perimeter. You'll then need to decide which way you'll run your decking as the joist direction will need to be orientated to suit. Working height also needs to be considered. What's yours? Working height is the measurement from the ground to flush with your door sill. It doesn't appear that you have much height to build your deck from the images. Our members often use timber like 90 x 45mm H3 treated Pine when building in a limited space.

Please upload a copy of your planned layout, and our knowledgeable members will be able to have a look over it for you. Don't be overly concerned about access to the drain. I reckon we can come up with a neat little trapdoor in the deck to solve that issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Timber Decking

Thank you Mitchell..

I will take all your advise on board...

Rod ,  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects