Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add waterline tiles to pebblecrete pool?

Bellab
Just Starting Out

How to add waterline tiles to pebblecrete pool?

I want to add a glass or ceramic mosaic waterline tile to a pebble crete pool, it has had no tile before. What adhesive and grout do I use?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Add waterline tiles to pebblecrete pool

Hello @Bellab

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about adding tiles to your pool. 

It sounds like a fantastic project. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the swimming pool? My only worry is that you mentioned pebblecrete and I wanted to know if the pebblecrete extended to the inside surface of the pool or is just on the outer edge of the pool. Pebblecrete is a very difficult surface to adhere to and you probably need to use specialized glue and grout to accomplish your project. The only glue I'm aware of that works both in and out of water is the Dunlop 310ml Tile-All Plus Premixed Tile Adhesive. But even this tile glue is subject to the kind of surface that it adheres to. 

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to add waterline tiles to pebblecrete pool?

Hi @Bellab,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

Please let me know if you have any trouble sharing some photos with us so we can assist further. We're here to help.

Jason

medujevac
Just Starting Out

Hi @Bellab , did u end up fitting waterline tiles over pebble crete? 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @medujevac. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Do you have some tiles you'd like to adhere over Pebblecrete? As mentioned above, applying tile adhesive over Pebblecrete can be troublesome. Pebblecrete has a coating of epoxy over it, which holds the pebbles together. Epoxy is a form of plastic, and it is tough to adhere anything to it. Combine that with the water immersion, and it's a recipe for the tiles falling off the wall.

In my opinion, you'd be better off grinding the Pebblecrete back to concrete and adhering your tiles to that.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects