Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to barricade space under a new deck?

Chris_T
Having an Impact

How to barricade space under a new deck?

Hi All!

Looking for some advice/suggestions. I've just had a new deck constructed in my garden at the front of my house. It is a bit higher than the previous deck and I now have a 12ish cm gap between the ground and the deck. My property slopes down toward the deck so pretty much anything that rolls (ie. my dogs toys) end up rolling under the deck and are lost forever (or until I get a new deck). 

So I'm just thinking about the best solution for blocking that bottom section of the deck. The support beams are quite a long way back from the edge (maybe 10cm) so I can't really add another board in line with the current one. So I thought about using corrugated garden edging and just nudging it back behind the edge of the board and then filling up the gap with soil and stones and putting in some small succulents to even out the ground there.

But maybe there's a better/more elegant solution?

Attached photos - would also love suggestions for what to do with the big chunk of garden area at the far end. I was thinking of planting a small tree here, but it's very very shady in there.

Thanks!

Chris

IMG_0332 2 Large.jpegIMG_0329 Large.jpegIMG_0330 Large.jpeg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to barricade space under a new deck?

Evening @Chris_T 

What is the distance between the concrete(?) and the lower edge of the deck? Is it a constant height?

I have no deck experience - but what is happening here?

Is that a split joist with visible angled nails?

Capture.PNG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Chris_T 

Thank you for sharing your question about barricading the gap under your deck. Technically you could cover the gap with garden edging, ideally you shouldn't. The gap under your deck is necessary so that air can pass through and prevent moisture from getting trapped inside the cavity space of your deck.

When moisture is trapped under the decking frame it breeds mould and it quickly deteriorates the timbers rigidity. Instead of having your deck for ten years it begins to go bad at six.

As an alternative, I suggest using Trough Plastic Northcote 60x16cm Rec Graphite Villa. I would still go with your idea of planting succulents as they are relatively easy to take care of and propagate. You can place these planters in front of the gap, and they should be enough to stop the toys from travelling straight through the gap. 

One other possible option is to cut down and use Saxon 90cm x 5m Chicken Wire Netting in combination with Taskmaster 5.3mm x 210mm Steel Tent Peg. It should be strong enough to stop any toys from going through and still allow air to pass through.

I also recommend having a look at the Cyclone Kids Patch Long Handle Garden Leaf Rake as a handy tool to get all the toys that have rolled under the deck.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Chris_T
Having an Impact

Thanks Eric! I hadn't thought about airflow but that is a good point. The other issue is that because I'm on sloping ground, dirt gets washed downhill under the deck so trying to reduce that erosion. I've attached a cross section idea - potentially putting up edging under the deck to stop dirt washing downhill but leaving a couple of inches of airflow ability? Is that a reasonable compromise?

Untitled_Artwork 2.jpg

I noticed that too @Noyade when I took the photos - yes it appears to be split joist with nails running across. Is this something you think I should raise with the builder? I had a feel of the joist and it seems sturdy, but maybe it needs to be sealed?

And yes the concrete is a constant height (around 10cm), however it curves away from the deck, so there's not aways concrete directly under the edge of the deck.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Chris_T,

Adding the edging and gravel is potentially an option.  It's up to you how much you're willing to block airflow. It's hard to say what is a reasonable amount of airflow; as a general rule, you should leave as much gap under your deck as possible. On my deck, some sections have no airflow, and it's not uncommon these days to see decks enclosed right to the ground. Only time will tell if this accelerates the rate of decay significantly.

Mitchell

Morning gents.

"and it's not uncommon these days to see decks enclosed right to the ground"

Yes, I noticed that as well, Mitchell - on a Bunnings how-to-do a deck.

Clipboard01.jpg

I've no idea why that wood is split and why nails are seen in that position. Can't hurt to photograph it closer, show it to the builder and ask "why?"

My eyes aren't good, but are the stumps joined timber? Possibly the joists are the same and came apart at the end? Dunno.

I also don't understand why on the same end he/she has used four pieces (off-cuts?) to create the deck face?

On the longer side - it appears to be two lengths?

Seven screws for each length?

Remove them - and add an extra 'rail' with a ventilation gap - and replace.

I'll bet you won't even lose a golf-ball then.

Just a Saturday thought Chris. 🙂

Cheers mate.

Graeme.

Scan1412.jpg

So I found a pic I took during construction of the deck and yes there seems to be two 90x45 nailed - looks like the end of the piece maybe has a knot that came out when cutting it back?

IMG_0339.jpeg

Just to bring this one full circle - I eventually opted to use Gutter Guard - just stapled to the beam under the deck, allows for airflow but not ball-flow 😂 Much easier to work with than chicken wire, and is black so barely noticeable unless you're really looking for it.

IMG_0803 2.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great work, @Chris_T

Many thanks for the update on your solution.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects