Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build DIY wheelchair accessible cubby house

Cstar
Growing in Experience

How to build DIY wheelchair accessible cubby house

DIY WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE CUBBY HOUSE

I'm wanting to know the dimensions and the type of wood I would need to build this for my son, would also like platform stair inside the back of the cubby house that exit at the red rectangle to a slide that is also undercover

The blue lines indicate an extended roof that is only roof, so he can park his wheelchair if needed.

Cstar_0-1586396900945.png

Cstar_0-1586400329056.png

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: HOW TO BUILD DIY WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE CUBBY HOUSE

This looks like a great project @Cstar.

Some things to consider;

• Do you need it to be raised which requires the ramp, or could the floor inside be your natural ground? This would make your design a) more simple (not requiring a ramp and the additional cost/effort of subframe for flooring), and b) would take up less space in your yard.
  • What level of ability does your son have? Does he need to get his wheelchair inside the cubby or can he transition to chairs/benches, etc?
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Cstar
Growing in Experience

@ProjectPete My backyard is grass and my son has sensory issues, so will definitely need to be raised.

He is able to move around (crawling) but is unable to walk so there needs to be a lot of room on the inside for him to move freely.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build DIY wheelchair accessible cubby house

Hi @Cstar,

Fantastic project. I'm sure the Workshop community will be more than happy to assist. Great to see you've already got Pete lending a hand. Some other amazing members that would be fantastic to get input from are @LePallet@Tara86 and @Yorky88

Let me extend a very warm Workshop welcome. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to seeing the cubby house come together and your son having countless hours of fun.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for that @Cstar 

- To help reduce the height required for adequate airflow below the floor I suggest using Formply as it's sealed and protected from moisture. I'd then buy lengths of 200x50 H4 sleepers and rip them to lengths of 65x50 to use as your subframe - I say H4 because they'll be in constant contact with the grass/moisture. H3 would warp/now over time. 

- Use a decking solution for your ramp and verandah area. H4 sleepers ripped to triangular shaped would be best for your frame again given constant contact with grass/moisture.

- Your wall and roof framing would be fine with 90x45 H3.

- Use desired size H3 for making the fence, etc and ensure they're painted.

- Fibre cement (FC) sheets/cladding is the best option for the exterior finishing however Bunnings also has suitable shiplap pine cladding which you can use. 3 coats of quality exterior paint will keep it looking good for quite some time.

Hope this is a good start for you.

Happy to help with your actual plan/layout when you get to that point.

----------
Handy and helpful
Cstar
Growing in Experience

Wow thank you @ProjectPete, would you like to build this for me aha, just joking, if i take what you've said to bunnings would they be able to get all the items together for me (I'm guessing they'd understand everything you've said?)

I'd love to! It'd be a special kind of accomplishment this one. Are you in Perth?

Let's get a plan drawn up for you with specific dimensions, timber types, brackets, fixings and go from there.

----------
Handy and helpful
Cstar
Growing in Experience

That would be amazing, thank you @ProjectPete :smile:

No I'm in Victoria haha!

Oh that's a shame.

Well why don't you start by sending me the basic/outer dimensions - length, width, height.

That way we can work on the frame structure, etc and the materials required.

Include things you'd like such as side of doorway, windows, shelves, etc

By the way, when are you planning to get this done by?

----------
Handy and helpful
Cstar
Growing in Experience

That sounds amazing @ProjectPete, it's dark here at the moment so I will go out tomorrow and give the area a measure.

Hopefully by July, so I'm able to have it ready for the spring/summer. :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects