Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a floor base for a Mardi Gras float?

AppleJack
Getting Established

How to build a floor base for a Mardi Gras float?

Hi , Im wanting to construct a float for Mardi Gras 2023, and wanting to use the pallets as the base, so we can construct in 3 sections and pallet onto a 7.5m flat bed of the truck. 

Has any one done this before or perhaps would this work for those of you with experience and knowledge of pallets?

Thxz

Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 5.27.58 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-22 at 5.28.14 pm.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mardi Gras : Floor base

Hello @AppleJack

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure having you join us, and thank you for asking about building a floor base for your float.

The quick answer is yes, you can build a floor base using a pallet. However, you'll need to cover it with plywood so that you don't step in between the slats and hurt yourself. As you build around and on top of the pallet it will start to get heavier. Will you have extra hands to lift it or will be using a forklift to get it into place? 

I suggest drawing a plan for a single pallet with the materials you'll be using. In this manner, you'll be able to duplicate your construction technique. This will also allow you to budget for the items you'll need for the project. The last thing will be the de-construction of the float. I suggest keeping the parts for next year's parade. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a floor base for a Mardi Gras float?

Hi @AppleJack,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.  

I hope you found Eric's reply helpful. Let me see if some of our pallet aficionados like @LePallet@MitchellMc@Tara86@prettyliving and @Peggers have more ideas for you. 

Jason

AppleJack
Getting Established

Thanks Eric for getting back, do pallets come in different structural grades. or do they all hold approx 1tonne in weight?

Also what would be the best way to organise say for example 8 plates?

Hi @AppleJack.

What a SUPER project! I thought I'd take some time to look at it for you. 

Pallets do come in different qualities, and you'll typically find softwood Pine pallets readily available. To cover a 7m area approximately 2m wide, you'll need around 12 pallets. The best way to source them would be by contacting or dropping into your local Bunnings stores and picking up what's available. You'll want to start getting the pallets now, as if you want all uniform thicknesses, you'll have to search for them. There are no weight specifications on a pallet, but they'll hold significant weight and should be suitable for your project. Just make sure they are strapped down well to the truck bed.

Below I've constructed some renders to assist with your build plans. I'd recommend making the frame in three separate sections as even with a team of helpers, you won't be able to lift the pre-made structure onto the truck in one piece, and I certainly wouldn't recommend you use a forklift. To join the four pallets used per section, I'd recommend bolting them together and using support timbers between them. Hopefully, the renders help with how this will work. The only suggestion I'd like to make to your incredible design is roof access so someone can stand on a platform and have their upper torso above roof height. If you do this at the truck cab end, it shouldn't take up too much floor space, and a DJ would fit perfectly under the platform. I don't know about you, but being able to wave to the crowd out the float's roof would be a real treat. 

Please let me know if you have further questions, as I'm keen to assist with your project.

Mitchell

1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png

WOW... Mitchell that is amazing. Can I invite you to join this FB group which will give you a little more depth in to the project.https://www.facebook.com/groups/164066160756313

I will start sourcing the pallets ASAP

These were my rough ideas before I thought of the recycled Pallet, as in base construction. Also the truck bed size has changed to 7500 x 2450mm, also include the first float I built for 2020 MGScreen Shot 2022-12-23 at 3.03.24 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-23 at 3.03.40 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-23 at 3.03.53 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-23 at 3.02.49 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-22 at 5.18.54 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-23 at 3.09.43 pm.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AppleJack

Thank you very much for sharing the pictures of your float plan. They look great and it looks like you've thought this out very well. I'm sure @MitchellMc will have a look at your excellent designs when he gets a chance. If we were to base the pallet size at 1200x1200mm you would need at least 12 pallets in total. It's critical that when you start your collection that they are all at the same height. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

AppleJack
Getting Established

Hi Eric

No ....🙏Thank you

The float is for Trans Pride Australia which is a 100% volunteer NFP Org, so all people can celebrate equality.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects