Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck?

IronStan001
Having an Impact

How to build a low-level deck?

I have an alfresco area which I'd like to deck.  The joists (Green lines) will most probably fix straight into the concrete and ideally, I'd like to go 1500mm beyond the concrete (Red line).  I have a storm water pipe (White line) about 800mm out from the concrete.  800mm out from the concrete, the ground is at its lowest point, which is about 200mm lower than the alfresco.  With regards to the footings and bearers, what are my options?

PXL_20230917_054034077~3.jpg

Re: How to build a low-level deck?

It's strange, because aside from the odd minor bend here or there, the boards were pretty straight.  None of the boards I don't think we're installed that would put much stress on the screws.  I have 1 spare board left which I'll swap it out tomorrow and see how that goes.

So I've been wetting the deck every couple of days and giving it a light scrub.  The first time I wet the deck (without a scrub), I let the water sit and dry.  The next day, I could see where all the tanins had dried up.  Since I started giving it a light scrub, I've been sweeping any standing water off and when the deck dries, I see no tanin stains.  Today, it's 38 degrees and I just gave the deck a water down, but didn't scrub.  Now that it's dried, I don't see any signs of tanins drying.  Is that an indication that weathering is working or I'm getting close to the oiling stage?

PXL_20240310_020054228.jpg

The above is the deck that's dried about 30 minutes after being wet today.

Hi @IronStan001,

If you want to skip the natural several-week weathering process, I'd recommend you scrub it down with Cabot's 2L New Timber Prep. It's designed to strip the tannins out of the Merbau and ready it for oil application.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

What's the wait time between new timber prep, deck clean and oil?

Between prep and clean, do I need to wait for the deck to fully dry?  Or can I prep, rinse, then clean?

Edit: Nevermind.  Answered my own question.  Deck clean can be applied immediately after Timber Prep whilst the deck is still damp.  That said, I imagine the deck can be left for a couple of days to fully dry before oiling?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @IronStan001 

The quick answer is yes, it's critical that the deck panels be totally dry before you apply any stain or sealer. I recommend checking the weather for the next few days and making sure you have a minimum of at least three days of sunshine to make sure the stain you put on does not get ruined by rain.

Eric

Tomorrow and Sunday is supposed to be 30, so if I prep and wash tomorrow morning, it'll have a few days to dry.  But Monday and Tuesday is supposed to rain, and after that at this stage, it's dry.

I don't know what's happening, but the boards exposed to the sun appear darker than those undercover, which is why I want to get into the oiling a little sooner than the natural weathering process takes.

Actually, come to think of it, it might be those exposed areas saw a sprinkling of rain the other and it could just be residual tannins sitting on top...

PXL_20240315_082700003.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @IronStan001 

I suspect that it might be tannins just coming out of the Merbau panels. Once you've done your wash and clean, you should notice a difference in their finish.

Eric

New prep and clean was done yesterday morning, which when I rinse the deck, the water is basically clear.  By tomorrow morning, it would have seen around 48 hours of warm, dry weather so I'd be good to oil.

Tomorrow is expected to be another 30 degree day.  If I oil at 9am and allow 3 hours between coats, would I be OK to apply the 2nd coat at midday, considering more of the deck would be exposed to sunlight?  Otherwise, 6:30p is about the time there is no sunlight hitting the deck.

Hi @IronStan001,

Which oiling product will you be using? Waiting three hours between coats sounds about right unless the can specifies differently. The most important part is that the deck doesn't get any rain on it until the oil has cured. You want at least three days of drying time after applying the oil. So, only apply if the rest of the week is forecast to be sunny. 

Mitchell

Intergrain UltraDeck.  Is applying it on a hot day in direct sunlight an issue?  The first coat will be fine since it'll be 95% shade, but by midday, only about 60% will be shaded.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects