Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a pergola?

Jkyeoman
Getting Established

How to build a pergola?

Hi, just have a few questions about building a new pergola that will be attached to the house. We had a steel pergola previously and took it down as we had the roof and gutters replaced (tile to colorbond) and was quite dark,  now at a point of putting a new one up.

The size will be 6200 (along the house) x 4400 and want to use polycarbonate roofing to get light into the area

house has structural fascia and hardwood frame (built in 1960)

looking at the span tables I need 140x45 rafters @600, but unsure about the size of wailing plate I need to fix to the fascia/house.

When I pulled down the old pergola I left the steel posts (4) and beam in place along the outside edge of the pergola as I didn’t need to remove it at the time; would they be ok to reuse in the new construction? Or should I replace with timber posts and beam?

thought I had some pictures on my phone but can’t find them at the moment.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a pergola?

Hi @Jkyeoman,

It would be great to see some images of the structural fascia and these posts and beam. It's a little hard to provide guidance otherwise. 

Will you be seeking approval from the council for the build? If so, it's best to check whether engineer plans will be required for submission. The engineer will dictate the appropriate connection methods to the house and the size of any wailing plates determined by the load it's supporting.

I'll be keen to see those images and assist further. In the interim, you might like to read through this helpful guide: How to build a pergola.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects