Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a timber outdoor ninja or pullup rig?

cashgayle
Finding My Feet

How to build a timber outdoor ninja or pullup rig?

I wanted to build a simple 4 post outdoor rig, with pullup bars, rope climb. ladder. Does anyone have any plans/specs from something similar?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a timber outdoor ninja or pullup rig?

Hi @cashgayle,

We'd be happy to help. Do you have any reference photos that have inspired you? It might help members to see what you are planning to build. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust that you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects from our wonderful members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber Outdoor ninja/pullup rig

Hello @cashgayle

It's great to hear that you're building a ninja outdoor rig. Just to add to the questions my colleague has asked. Are you building this for a child, an adult or both? What is the approximate size of the area that you'll be putting this in? Any other details you can add to the size of the ninja set would be much appreciated.

Eric

Hi Jason

I am looking at a simple 4 post structure, with a rope attached to climb at 1 side, pullup bars, monkey bars across centre & a ladder at rear. It is for adults, not kids. basically, I am unsure of the pole height. I was looking at your 100x100 3m treated posts, placing these 500 deep, with instant cement be sufficient to hold the structure? Using your galvanised steel tubing for pullup & monkey bars?

Thx

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @cashgayle

Your proposal of using 100 x 100mm Post H4 Treated Pine Wet CCA is ideal. However, this is on the condition that base ends are properly held in by cement and that the top part of the posts are connected together using 90 x 45mm L/M Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine in combination with cup head bolt and nut assembly. This will give stability to the posts and prevent them from leaning in different directions. If you add more timber for the different ninja functions it will make the assembly even more stable.

Using Galvanised Metal Tubes would be perfect as monkey bars and they would be strong enough to carry an adult. The thickest rope at the store is 16mm, you could double up the rope assembly to give you a better grip. As for the rope climb, the closest item I could find at the store is the Swing Slide Climb 1800 x 800mm Cargo Net. It is measured at 1.8m but you'll need to join at least two of these together if you want it a longer length.

I recommend having a look at this discussion to give you some ideas - How to build an indoor monkey bar? by @JohnC5

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects