Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build outdoor decking 800mm height with steps?

Rufo
Getting Established

How to build outdoor decking 800mm height with steps?

I am planning to build an outdoor decking on one side of a swim spa, it will be located on the right hand side of the pool. The decking will be on a concrete base and approx 800mm heigh, approx 2100mm wide and approx 6000mm long with steps on one end. I need some advice on how to build it and what material to use. I was planning to cover it with sinthetic grass.

Cheers Andrew

20220329_164337.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build outdoor decking 800mm height with steps?

Hello @Rufo

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a deck.

I suggest having a look at this guide - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W. Although your deck is a little bit higher, the guide covers the basic steps you need to take into consideration when planning your decking frame. I recommend visiting your local council first and looking at the rules and regulations about building a deck near a swimming pool. Because your deck is quite large and is relatively high, it's important to find out if this particular deck size will need a permit. 

I always suggest drawing your deck frame with pen and paper. This will give you a better idea of timber spacing and in which direction the decking panels are going in. Will you be doing a picture frame or will you be finishing it plain? These are some of the things you'll need to consider while drawing your plan.  

Usually, timber size is dictated by the space available. But in this case, you've got heaps of space, I suggest using 140 x 45mm Framing MGP10 Untreated Pine which is a common size for deck framing. 

Here are some links to ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular deck projects and Inspiring low-level deck builds.

Here are some amazing low-level decks our Workshop members have shared.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects