Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut stone (Schist) tiles?

RustyR
Finding My Feet

How to cut stone (Schist) tiles?

I need to cut stone (Schist) tiles on a deck.  I have an angle grinder, and I know about buying the cutting disks for stone/concrete.  My question is - Do I need to use water when cutting the tiles, or can I cut them dry.  I've heard that using water keeps the disk cool while cutting, but it's difficult to use water where I'll be working.  If I could cut the tiles without water that would make life easier.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cutting stone (Schist) tiles

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RustyR. It's fabulous that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about cutting tiles.

For the cleanest cut, you'd need to use a continuous diamond blade, and it's recommended to do this wet. However, they can be used dry, but it will limit their lifespan. Depending on the length of the cut, they can also be a little slow going. Segmented diamond blades are much better for dry cutting as the gaps in the blade help keep them cool. You won't get as clean a cut with segmented, though, but they are much faster. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell.  A very clear answer, which is most helpful.  

R.

Hi again, Good Bunnings people.  Sorry, me here again with another question -

My angle grinder is an Ozito, which takes 100mm discs.  On your website I can't find any discs for cutting stone (Schist) tiles or concrete that are that size.  Do you have anything suitable?  I could do the job with a grinding disc, but a cutting disc would be better, if there is one.  

Rusty.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@RustyR,

Here's the Flexovit 100mm Ultra Thin Blade Diamond which will suit. You should also find that the 105mm blades fit as well. You don't want to put something on that is so large that you're forced to remove the guard. Please do not remove the guard, as it's there for your safety.

I hope that helps.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects