Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extend round post and rail Colorbond fence?

LevyMJ
Just Starting Out

How to extend round post and rail Colorbond fence?

hello everyone,

i'm looking to extend our colorbond fence but its screwed to a round post and rail frame - not the "square" posts in the video from Screenline (https://screenlinefenceextensions.com.au/installation/

are there any solutions for me.? Is there an extension or something i can use to adapt the fence to take the extension panels.? 

thanks 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to extend round post and rail Colorbond fence?

Hi @LevyMJ ,

Apologies for the slow reply.

Let me tag some helpful and experienced members for you who might be able to share their thoughts: @ProjectPete@tom_builds@Brad@DIYgals@royq.

Resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to assist when he is back on the site on Friday. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're always thrilled when a new member joins us and we trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and plenty of project inspiration from our wonderful members. Please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the Workshop site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

LevyMJ First up are your wooden posts at a distance that centre to centre matches a colourbond panel? If they are you could cut a slit in the top of the posts and use 2 bolts through the post to bolt in a vertical piece of metal  strap eg metal mate 30x3mm gal steel flat bar and then just use the extension kit . If not you may need to extend posts have a look at https://backyardscape.com/how-to-extend-wooden-fence-post-height-step-by-step/  and put a new top rail with some metal angle. JDE

tom_builds
Making a Splash

Hi @LevyMJ,

Welcome to the community, we're always excited to see new people tackling projects around the house.

It would be great if you could upload a couple of photos so that we can better understand the situation that you are able to overcome, for example if the posts you are talking about are metal or wooden? Then we might be able to provide some more specific advice to tackle your problem.

Thanks,

tom_builds

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @LevyMJ

Thank you for sharing your question about extending your fence. It's fantastic that you've received advice from @tom_builds and @JDE. Your description of the frame and rail on your fence is intriguing. I haven't seen this type of round system working with a Colorbond panel. I agree with @tom_builds request. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your fence? By seeing how your fence is built, it will give us a better idea of what to recommend.  

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

@LevyMJ

Sorry I assumed wooden post. First question should have been metal or wooden posts. Thinking back as a teen we used to make a poor mans colourbond fence using steel pipe with angle welded at the bottom sticking out and angle half on the top half down one side at the top and then tech screw the colourbond directly to the angle. Is this what you have?JDE

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects