Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extract screws from a bench seat?

Trouper66
Getting Established

How to extract screws from a bench seat?

I'm in the process of repairing a bench seat. I have stripped back old paint and want to do the seating. There are 2 screws that will not budge no matter how much force I apply. Also there are 3 screws that have snapped with the pointy end still lodged in the timber. After suggestions on how to extract them.

20211126_152119.jpg

20211126_152129.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to extract screws from a bench seat?

Hello @Trouper66

If you've got some stubborn screws that don't want to come out, I suggest using Sutton Tools No2 Easy Out Extractor Screw Set. I recommend going easy on the extractor to avoid snapping the screw heads off. As for the one sticking out, I recommend Irwin Vise-Grip 2 Piece Fast Release Locking Pliers Set to grip onto the body of the screw and gently unscrew it out. As for the embedded screw with the head snapped off, I suggest removing the rest of the screws around it and lifting the timber piece off so you can access the body of the screw. Sounds like an interesting upcycle project. Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to upcycle almost anything with paint

Let me tag our experienced members @tom_builds and @Wayne for their recommendations on how to remove broken screws.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom_builds
Making a Splash

Hey @Trouper66,

Have you given them a good blast of WD-40? With the two that are not budging buts still in tact (I assume?) you could also try to drive them further into the timber before then retrying to remove them. Mighg help dislodge any rust/grime that could be the reason they won't move.

As for the busted ones, some gentle persuasion with a hammer should do the trick - use an offcut of timber to protect the timber you are restoring and remove all other screws first. Once you have the pointy end free, a hammer should be able to knock it back out the way it went in.

Tom

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Trouper66,

It's great to see you've already received some expert advice.

I'd suggest skipping the Sutton Tools No2 Easy Out Extractor Screw Set, that's more for extracting bolts than timber screws. 

My first thought after seeing your question is, do you actually need to remove the broken screws? I'd suggest trying the Irwin Vise-Grip 2 Piece Fast Release Locking Pliers Set on the screws that still have a portion of their shaft left. Failing that working, just knock them over and into the timber with a hammer, so they are below its surface. When you replace the boards, they will cover the screws.

For the boards which you can't remove their screws, can you sand them back in situ instead of removing them? Alternatively, you can drill through their head and shaft with a Kango 3mm Cobalt Drill Bit at low speed. Make sure you get a cobalt drill bit instead of a standard high-speed steel bit.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Trouper.

I take it you want to keep the piece of timber indicated (top arrow)?

Trouper.PNG

If so, keep doing what you're doing - leave the buried screws, snap off (pliers fatigue method), or grind off the exposed/headless screws and reattach the wood later. Chances of striking the submerged screws with new screws - like winning Lotto?

If you don't want that piece of wood - where the screws are giving you trouble - remove it from both ends and replace it (lower arrow)?

Trouper66
Getting Established

Thanks for that. It's amazing what a grinder could do. After trying to sand the timber with various types of sanders I thought I would give my grinder a go. Did the trick in half the time. Woke a few dogs up but what the heck-karma was served.

It's great to hear that you had success. Many thanks for updating us on your project.

Did you have any pictures of the bench seat if you're now finished? I trust our members would be interested in seeing your restoration job.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects