Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix crumbling front concrete steps?

Kwob
Just Starting Out

How to fix crumbling front concrete steps?

Hi All,

I'm looking to fix my front steps. These concrete steps are very, very old and have started to crumble and chip away over the last couple of years. I'm looking to either repair them or replace them with timber/composite decking steps. The steps are approx 550mm in height, 1060mm wide. What would you suggest? 

1000030460.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Front concrete steps

Hello @Kwob 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have yo join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your concrete steps.

If you are planning on repairing them, it will be necessary to investigate how far the damage has travelled. Before you begin, I suggest marking the level of the steps with a black pen so that you'll know how high you'll need to rebuild your steps.   I suggest using a Craftright 1.8KG Sledgehammer to knock away all the loose concrete on your steps. 

You'll know when you've hit solid concrete when it does not easily chip away. I propose using Bastion Builders Mix to rebuild the steps. It might be necessary to do a bit of formwork if the damage is substantial.

In regards to building it from timber and composite steps, it is definitely doable. I suggest meticulously measuring the size of the steps and its configuration. Generally speaking, once you have all the measurements, you'll be able to replicate the steps by building a timber frame. 

Unfortunately, the frame of the steps will have to be made of timber, but the steps themselves can be made of Ekodeck. One other option is to use premade steps such as the Wilmaplex Ezistep Stringers H3 Treated Pine Suits Three Tread. Please note that the steps are not included, the treads will need to be purchased separately.

The stairs are made from H3, LOSP Treated Pine, suitable for above ground outdoor use. Timber is a naturally occurring material which can have variations in colour & texture.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects