Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix ledge board into edge of concrete?

cihan
Finding My Feet

How to fix ledge board into edge of concrete?

CD96EF8F-2463-45D8-991A-8351B8D48DD5.jpeg

Is it allowed to fix deck ledger board into the edge of concrete as shown in the picture so as to eliminate concrete posts. In this case joist will be spanning from that ledger board to post on the opposite side. I took out the tiles at the edge and found the concrete is in good condition. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to fix ledge board into edge of concrete

Hi @cihan

You can attach a ledger board directly to the concrete slab. It is advised that the ledger board is fixed with an air gap between it and the slab. This can be done by sandwiching timber block spacers in between it and the slab before Dynabolting the ledger into position. A gap of 10mm would be adequate.

I would need to know the distance between the ledger board and the post to comment on the span of the joist.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Does Bunnings sale those timber block spacer? The span is 1430mm from the ledger and the post at the opposite site. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @cihan,

The blocks of timber would normally be leftover scraps. Alternatively, you could use plastic packers.

Depending on what timber you use for the joists and/or bearers 1430mm would be a suitable span.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects