Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix water pooling against wall?

vick87
Getting Established

How to fix water pooling against wall?

D980E761-C76D-41BC-8115-2B2ABA738266.jpeg

Hello everyone 

just noticed water ponding against the wall this section is a bit lower towards the wall can you please recommend  what type of soil i can use to create a raised area to slope the water away ? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: water pounding against wall

Hello @vick87

Thank you for sharing your question about water pooling at the side of your house.

I've made a list below of probable causes of water pooling around that particular area of your house along with possible solutions.

• Your lawn is graded incorrectly. If the fall of your landscaping is headed towards your house, this will cause water to gather at the lowest point. In this case, it's the sidewall of your house. The solution is to regrade your garden so that the fall will be towards your fence line or street. Adding topsoil will only temporarily fix the issue. The turf must be removed and the landscaping corrected.  
  • There is a blockage in your drainage. If you have a drain coil near the house, there is the possibility that it has blocked up and water is being forced back and up. This will cause flooding as the water has nowhere to go. The solution is to investigate if you have a drain coil in the area, unblock it so that the water will flow into the sewer.
  • The drain pipes for your gutters are blocked up. Observe the flow of water into your drain pipes near the downspouts. If excess water is coming out of the downspout it is an indicator that the drainpipe is blocked up. You will need to unblock your drain pipe so that the water will drain away from the side of your house.

If none of these conditions are causing the flood, I suggest putting an Everhard EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate & 3m Prejoined Channel at the side of your house to catch the water and redirect it into your drain. I recommend observing the flow of water in the area. Water will often leave a trail as it flows. Once you've tracked it down and found the source, you can then effect repairs.

Let me tag our experienced members @ProjectPete and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vick87
Getting Established

Thank you Eric

The gutter downpioes are working fine o got the gutters cleaned few months ago and can hear water flowing through them fine amd i noticed today when it started raining the water was pounding a little far frkm the wall amd then evemtully ended ul against the wall i have been watching it from a while since it happened last time 

i think its incorrect landscapping as you mentioned i will try to come up with a drainage solution or re landscape it 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @vick87

To temporarily drain the water, I suggest digging a lower drain channel with a Cyclone Stainless Steel Garden Trowel going towards a possible spot where the water might naturally drain away. Just be aware that eventually the channel will refill with soil and you will have the same problem again.

Please keep us updated without progress, we look forward to seeing the side of your house high and dry.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects