Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a retaining wall on my front yard?

Sadiqxyz
Finding My Feet

How to install a retaining wall on my front yard?

Hi how can i install retaining wall or boundary to my front yard there is big slop near to concrete 

Plz advice with design many many thanks in advance 

20230824_085538.jpg

20230824_085548.jpg

20230824_085613.jpg

  

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to install a retaining wall on my front yard?

Good Morning @Sadiqxyz 

:smile: Welcome to the Bunnings Community page, So many things in here catch my eyes so hopefully one you will like for a retaining wall idea.

My suggestion would be a Gabion Wall. A metal mesh bsket filled with rocks/stones/broken concrete even

80cm by 40cm by 40cm Gabion Basket and there are some different sizes for different configurations. Bunnings sells them and they are usually located down the back of the fencing isles/garden isles. They are incredibly easy to put together. They also allow free drainage through the wall. (I have used geotech cloth behind the wall to stop fines come through.)

Best bit for these style retaining walls (Low in height, wide in base) is that you can just have compacted earth/clay underneath them. 

I have installed a bunch of different sizes, some pre-made some I made myself. They all work well.

Search for "Gabion" up above or here is a link where I have used the pre-made style of baskets. Corner gabion wall 

Dave

Do you want a fence on top of the retaining wall or just an edge to have a flat lawn?

Hi Thank you for advice 

Just only need edge to have flat lawn

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Sadiqxyz 

Gabion walls would work well for that especially the premade ones :smile: I will be posting another low gabion wall for the edge of my path at home in the next day or so if you want to have a look.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sadiqxyz 

Thank you for sharing your question about how to build a retaining wall. 

I suggest having a look at this guide - How to build a retaining wall by @Adam_W. You'll find some excellent tips on how to design your retaining wall.

I also recommend having a look at the RIDGI Reinforced Concrete Sleepers in combination with the Ridgi 50 x 50 x 3mm 0.9m Galvanised Steel H Joiner Post Upright Sleeper

Here is a link to their brochure: RIDGI Concrete Sleepers (contains installation instructions)

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to build a timber retaining wall

Here are links to discussions about building retaining walls:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Sadiq retaining1.jpgSadiq retaining2.jpgSadiq retaining3.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects