Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay a paved pathway?

cintaheath
Just Starting Out

How to lay a paved pathway?

I’m going to lay a paved pathway in my garden but am wondering if I can leave a 100mm gap between pavers and then fill the gaps with something that will stay solid? I’m reluctant to create a stepping path with big gaps and gravel as there are trees overhead that drop heaps of leaves so it’d be a pain to clean, but would like small gaps filled with something that won’t move when I use a blower to clear the leaves from the path. 
Thanks! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to lay a paved pathway

Hello @cintaheath

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about laying a paved pathway.

Laying a pathway with gaps is filled with possible issues. Aside from leaves falling into the gaps, the stability of the paver comes into question. If you were using a very large paver such as the Custom Concrete Products 600 x 600 x 40mm Plain Paver having gaps at 100mm would not be a problem as the paver itself is heavy enough to hold its place in the ground. However, smaller ones that are unanchored will definitely move when stepped on.

Instead of leaving gaps, I suggest using dark-coloured pavers in between to create the look that you're after. I've included a sketch below to give you an idea of how you can lay the pavers down to give you that gap look.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @diy_hausdesigns for their recommendations.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Paving ideas for outdoor entertaining areas.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects