Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a wooden folding picnic table?

naila123
Finding My Feet

How to make a wooden folding picnic table?

Hi All, 

So happy to have found this workshop community. I am keen on making my first wood project in a decade!

I want to make a folding wooden picnic table like in the pictures. I needed helpwith the below questions if someone could assist: 

- Am I going to be able to find all materials at Bunnings? If so, what should I ask for?
- Would I need to waterproof the wood/ paint?- What do I need in tools to make things easier for a novice like myself? 

Any pointers to get me started are welcome! Or if you think it’s too tough for a novice, let me know also :smile: 

Thankyou! 

B02E6DF3-E66E-4344-92ED-60344B52F843.jpeg

9CC80676-8FCD-42A9-858C-FAED88C90181.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a wooden folding picnic table?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @naila123. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

I think this is a perfect project to choose as a novice.

It appears that they have used 70mm treated pine decking for all of the timber. The timber is already waterproof but you can paint it with Dulux Weathershield to achieve a similar finish. They have sliced a board down the centre to make the braces for the legs and some standard door hinges have been used to allow them to fold. Suitable screws would be Zenith 8 - 10 x 30mm Treated Pine Countersunk Head Screws - 100 Pack. You might like to counter-sink these so they bite into the timber further.

You could construct this folding table with only a hand saw and a screwdriver, though a drill driver and circular saw would be helpful. 

I've rendered the construction pieces to give you a slightly better idea of how it is put together.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looking forward to seeing what you can create @naila123. Great to have you join the community.

Welcome,

Jason

Do you have a step by step plan on how to build the picnic table?

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jjmelbs! Thanks for joining the discussion.

Did you want to build the same type of table as the one in @naila123's photo? Or did you have something else in mind? Could you share a rough drawing or a photo of the type of picnic table you would like to build? That will help us to be able to help you. @MitchellMc should be able to give you some advice when he is back from his break on Friday.

In the meantime, we have step by step guides for a range of projects available in our How to section. Have you had a look at the advice that our community members have already shared in @Shagen's discussion about folding tables ? 

We're here to help and are confident you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jjmelbs,

Although there is no step-by-step guide available for this particular project, as it is contributed by a member, I'd still be happy to assist with any questions you might have. You'll see from the rendering I added above that there are minimal parts and steps to this project. Let me know if you get stuck on a specific part.

Mitchell

Hello,

I'm currently making the above low picnic table, although I've put an edge around my table top. I've used recycled marbau decking and made it 2000mm x 800mm.

I have 2 questions. If I do the legs as above, will they be able to support the weight of the table, or am I better off doing 2 double folding trestle legs? And how do I figure out the angle to cut on the part of the leg that connects with the ground..? I hope that makes sense. 

Thank you in advance:)

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Poppyhill. It's great to see you've been inspired to build your own picnic table, and to have you as part of the Bunnings Workshop community.  

Mitch (who shared the plans above) is taking a well-earned break at the moment after the birth of his child. Our other resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist when he is back on the site on Friday. In the meantime, let me tag some community members with loads of woodworking experience who might like to assist you, including @woodenwookie@JDE@kel@r23on and @woodalwaysworks.    

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the Workshop site. 

Thanks again,

Jason

@Poppyhill 

A dead simple way of working your angles out for the table legs is to cut them after you’ve made the table.

Make all the legs longer than they need to be but equal.

Once your table is built, stand it up right,check that is is all level, use packers under the leg to equal this if required then place a straight piece of timber along the floor next to the legs on one side and draw a line. This will give you your angle.

Repeat on the other side 

Take your time with your cuts and cut on the same side of your marked line for all four legs

Hello @Poppyhill

Thank you for sharing your query about the legs for a picnic table. 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from one of our experienced members @woodalwaysworks. Another way to imagine the build is to make a letter "H" with the top of the letter closer to one another almost like an "A" but with the top open. You then place your horizontal timber supports one at the top and one close to the center.

Following woodalwaysworks advice make sure that the table is level before marking the bottom of the legs for cutting.

If you need more advice or information please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects