Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a wooden pool pump cover?

lbell
Just Starting Out

How to make a wooden pool pump cover?

Hi I am looking for instructions to make a wooden pool pump cover. Can you help?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to make a wooden pool pump cover

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Steve5. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a pool pump cover.

Are you referring to the image I posted early in the discussion? I can't see any other referenced projects made from timber strips.

Here's another rendering that might give you a better idea of how you could construct something similar. 42 x 18mmscreening can be used to clad the frame. The lid is of very simple construction. It's just screening held together with some battens. This makes it very lightweight and easy to lift.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, that's the one i'm interested in.  Latest drawing helps a lot!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated on your build @Steve5, and please reach out again if you have questions or get stuck.

Mitchell

Hi, 

I’ve completed the frame which is 1.4m high in the back and 1.0m high in the front.

The depth of the box is 1.2m and the width of the front is 1.5m resulting in the following panels:

1.  Roof 1.5m X 1.26m
  2.  Side panels 1.2m X 1.0m (top triangle open for ventilation?) or
  3. Side panels 1.2m X 1.0/1.4m trapezoid
  4. Front panel 1.5m x 1.0m

Gas struts will be used to keep the roof open when backwashing, etc.

I’ll need to access the pump skimmer and chlorine doser on the right side on a regular basis so a hinged door will be convenient.  I’ve built gates with hinges on the outside, but not sure how to attach hidden hinges.  Thought about clamping panel to the frame, attaching hinge to the outside and then drilling holes through the panel into the frame then moving hinge to the inside using drill holes for alignment.  Any suggestions on the type of hinge/latch and installation would be much appreciated.

A heat pump will be installed in the left side of the box which doesn’t need regular access so a removable panel might be easier than a hinged door.  Maybe 4 pins the panel fits onto and then clips to hold it in place?  Can you suggest anything?

I’d like to use merbau fence panels for all sides instead of the 42 x 18mm screening, but I’ll need to use more than one panel per side.   Can the 42 x 18mm screening be used to build frames for the fence panel doors?  Is there an easy way to connect 2 merbau panels together and use them for a door and/or roof?

Thanks!

https://www.bunnings.com.au/specrite-1800-x-902mm-84-44mm-fence-panel-merbau-slats_p8500281

https://www.bunnings.com.au/specrite-600-x-33mm-1-8m-fence-panel-merbau-pre-oiled_p8500298

https://www.bunnings.com.au/42-x-18mm-2-7m-fj-pre-oiled-merbau-screening_p0177440

https://www.bunnings.com.au/goliath-535mm-200n-black-gas-strut_p4230060

Pump box.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Steve5,

Butt hinges can be recessed slightly into your frame and fixed in place. You can then screw the other side of the hinge to your doors. This will leave the door only minimally spaced away from the frame. There will be no gap if you also recess the hinge into the door. What type of latch were you looking for? A simple magnetic catch would hold the doors closed.

Having a removable panel sounds like a great idea. Instead of the pins that could get jammed through the timber swelling, I recommend using an Everhang 13.5kg Magnetic Pull Latch Set. A couple of these and they would hold your panel in place perfectly.

The 42 x 18mm screening can be used to build frames for your panels. The easiest way to join two of the panels is likely running some lengths 42 x 18mm across their width and screwing them into the panels.

Please let me know if you have further questions. I can't wait to see your project finished.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for for you note.

I finally made it to Bunnings to check out the Merbau fence panels and they are very heavy.

How many magnetic pull latch sets would I need to hold up a 1.2m x 1m Merbau fence panel?

Is the latch set 1 magnet and a metal plate or 2 magnets?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The kit comes with north and south-facing magnets that latch together @Steve5. If the weight of the panel is sitting on the frame, you'd only need a set of magnets in the top two corners to hold it in position. If you want the magnets to hold the panel's weight entirely, you could use one set in each corner of the four corners, but they are exceptionally strong. I installed one set on a door, and it's pretty hard to pull it open. If you used four sets, I'd be concerned whether you could get the panel off again.

Mitchell

Good idea to rest the fence panel on the structure frame.  I can attach a frame on back of panels that will fit into the structural frame opening to support the weight.

What would you recommend to use to line the box if we wanted to dampen the noise?

Cheers

Great question @theoekiwi.

Let me tag one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL to share his thoughts on what he would use. @Jewelleryrescue and @ProjectPete might also like to join in the conversation.

And have you seen @MitchellMc's step-by-step guide How to build a pool pump cover?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and we look forward to seeing your project come together.

Jason 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects